Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Minimum Qualifications
Bachelor's degree in Architecture or Engineering, plus ten years of post-license professional experience in the supervision of the design and construction of major, public or private, capital construction projects, including six years experience supervising and evaluating multi-disciplinary professional staff. Must be licensed in NYS as a Registered Architect or Professional Engineer.
Master's degree in Architecture, Engineering, or Business Administration plus ten years of post-license professional experience in the supervision of the design and construction of major, public or private, capital construction projects, including six years experience supervising and evaluating multi-disciplinary professional staff. Proven industry experience managing design aspects of capital programs with extensive customer and industry interaction.
• Demonstrated management skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and exercise sound judgment.
• Demonstrated analytical and conceptual skills.
• Excellent oral and written communications skills.
• Strong interpersonal and diplomacy skills
• Proven ability in internal and external communications as evidenced by a strong, successful track record in conflict resolution and public relations.
• Proven Proficiency in PC applications such as Outlook, Excel, Access and Word.
• Flexibility and ability to rapidly adjust to changing requirements or conditions.
Duties Description Primary Purpose
The Director of Planning, Design and Quality Assurance organizes, manages and directs design phase functions, and acts as facilitator between clients, outside design consultants and regulatory agencies and DASNY and oversees development and implementation of policies and procedures for DASNY’s client Programs.
• Oversee the management of project development during the planning, pre-design and design phases of the project, including meeting with clients and consultants and providing assistance, and managing all aspects of consultant agreements including review and approval of consultant contracts, contract amendments, and extensions of schedule and contract closeout.
• Direct the review of highly technical plans, specifications and change orders.
• Oversee the development of plans, specifications and cost estimates for in-house designed projects.
• Participate on selection committees for professional services specific to DASNY- managed capital projects and term consultant opportunities.
• Oversee the conduct of periodic condition surveys of DASNY- owned buildings to insure that the facilities are being maintained in accordance with lease agreements and applicable codes.
• Oversee the development and periodic revision and updating of DASNY standards and documents related to design such as Design Professional Submission Requirements, Residence Hall Design Guidelines, Etc.
• Oversee the management of the technical library and DASNY’s code and reference standards.
• Assist with coordination and transition between design and construction phases of DASNY- managed projects.
• Oversee development of outside design consultant scope of work descriptions, design service contracts and design service fees to best serve the needs of individual construction projects.
• Coordinate with the Director of Planning, Design and Quality Assurance, Directors, Construction and Managing Senior Directors of Construction, in the development and implementation of design service contracts, scope of service documents and fee schedules to best serve the needs of individual construction projects.
• Participate in the development of project budgets and schedules and interact with Director of Construction, mid-level project management staff and consultant construction management staff to facilitate adherence to established project budgets and schedules.
• Oversee payments to design consultants and develop efficient practices for timely payment that conform to contractual and statutory requirements.
• Oversee the development of Planning, Design and Quality Assurance Department goals and management procedures and periodically review them with the Construction Services Division Senior Staff.
• Oversee the development of techniques for the efficient use of resources to manage design functions and develop, recommend and implement new techniques for design management.
• Review and amend existing design standards and develop and recommend new standards to further the interests of DASNY and to better serve the needs of client programs.
• Coordinate the work of the Planning, Design and Quality Assurance Department with the work of other Departments within DASNY.
• Plan program workload distribution and assign projects to individual Planning, Design and Quality Assurance staff.
• Oversee the development of specific service proposals for individual clients; obtain input from sources outside the Planning, Design and Quality Assurance Department and coordinate and review information presented to client representatives.
• Oversee the work of Planning, Design and Quality Assurance Department staff.
• Mentor direct reports with regard to professional development including training needs and training associated with transactional operations associated with the Department.
• Assign mentor support to Department staff in need to ensure a full understanding of DASNY policies and procedures associated with design phase activity.
• Review MWBE and SDVOB opportunities and work to maximize on programs, projects and term opportunities.
• Increase Department staff’s expertise in the area of sustainability, in support of NYS policy goals/regulations (EO88, EO4, Green Building Construction Act, NYS Energy Code, SUNY Construction Waste goals), to the benefit of projects we manage and clients we serve.
• Assist with the development and oversight of the reporting requirements for DASNY clients.
• Represent DASNY at conferences and public functions.
• Participate in outreach meetings/functions with prospective clients and professional organizations.
• Participate in strategic planning activities.
• Monitor overall Department fees and hours.
• Prepare and manage Department budget.
• Monitor and manage Department staffing levels and make staffing recommendations to Managing Director, Construction and Metro New York Operations.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
• Prepare monthly status report detailing Department utilization rates, customer service follow-up activities, internal program initiatives and other topics as directed, for use by Managing Director of Construction.
• Promote ongoing maintenance and development of Department technical expertise. Coordinate training opportunities for Planning, Design and Quality Assurance Department staff through DASNY Training Department.
• Evaluate employee performance, provide regular feedback throughout the review period.
• Ensure supervisors meet their obligations in the supervision, training and evaluation of their staff.
• Counsel employees and assist in handling grievances and disciplinary measures in accordance with applicable collective bargaining agreements.
• Direct the development, documentation and implementation of policies and procedures.
• Direct the assessment, development, implementation and testing of internal controls.
• Exercises such other powers and performs such other duties and undertakes special assignments as directed.
• Must maintain regular attendance in accordance with DASNY attendance and leave policies.
• Must adhere to the NYS Information Security Policy Standards established and issued by the Office of Information Technology Services. (Standards can be found on the Intranet).
Additional Comments Supervision
Supervision of employees is required.
Frequent travel is required using public transportation, DASNY vehicle, rental vehicle or personal vehicle. This travel may include overnight stays at public accommodations and related establishments. May require exposure to weather and temperature extremes, loud noises, heights (climbing ladders, scaffolding, etc.) and work safety hazards (chemicals, fumes, etc.). Requires complex and time-pressured decision-making. Must be able to work overtime or extended work hours as needed.
Official station is a standard office environment, including the use of one or more of the following: PC, telephone, fax machine, printer, copier, scanner, electronic stapler/hole punch/date stamp, shredder.
**Position rates additional $5,054 annual location differential**
DASNY is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer committed to excellence and diversity.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.