Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications To be considered for permanent appointment, candidates must be reachable on the current Civil Service eligible list or be eligible for reassignment or transfer in accordance with Civil Service Law.
At the time of appointment and continuously thereafter, possession of a valid NYS Driver's License is required, or the candidate must demonstrate the ability to meet the travel requirement for the position.
If a viable eligible list does not exist, a provisional appointment may be made in accordance with Civil Service Law. Candidates who accept a provisional appointment must take the next competitive examination and be reachable on the resultant eligible list in order to be considered for permanent appointment to the position.
In order to be considered for provisional appointment, candidate must meet one or more of the following minimum requirements for taking the open-competitive Senior Engineering Technician exam:
1. Two years of experience assisting in engineering or engineering
technology, engineering management technology, architecture or architectural technology, environmental technology, landscape design, materials laboratory technology, drafting or surveying, and graduation from a high school or possession of a diploma issued by a recognized educational authority;
2. An associate's degree in mathematics, physical science, engineering or engineering technology, architecture or architectural technology, construction technology, environmental technology, landscape architecture/design, drafting, forestry, surveying, aeronautics, or electronics;
3. A certificate in CAD/CAM, construction technology, drafting, engineering, engineering graphics, or electronics** issued by a regionally accredited college and university and one year of experience as listed above in number 1;
4. 36 semester credit hours of college course work in mathematics, physical science, engineering or engineering technology, architecture or architectural technology, construction technology, environmental technology, landscape architecture/design, drafting, forestry, surveying, aeronautics, electronics or electronics technology may be substituted for experience at the rate of 18 semester credit hours equaling one year of experience listed above in number I;
5. Graduation from a high school technical education program (recognized by the NYS Education Department as meeting acceptable program practices and standards) in CAD/CAM, construction technology, drafting, engineering, engineering graphics, or electronics may be substituted for one year of experience listed in number I. As stated in number 3, certificates from trade or technical schools will be accepted only if they are institutions that are regionally accredited or recognized by the NYS Department of Education as following acceptable educational practices. To check if your certificate came from an educational institution accepted by the NYS Department of Education, please visit their website at
http://www.nysed.gov/heds/lRPSL I.html and if your school is listed, select to see if a qualifying program is listed. Please note that it is the program that needs to be accepted, not just the school.
Duties Description A Senior Engineering Technician assists in the performance of civil engineering work and provides engineering support services to engineers by inspecting portions of construction projects, participating in field survey work, leads small project survey parties, collects .and analyzes engineering data, reviews contracts and specifications, and prepares and reviews maps and plans. Responsibilities may include serving a role within the Incident Command System to support the department's response to regional and statewide emergency situations.
Additional Comments Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.