Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications 12 years’ experience with the application of information technology in support of business objectives and priorities; of which 3 years must include acting in a management capacity. A Master’s degree may be substituted for up to five years of experience.
General experience must include: Systems development and implementation (including engineering and design, business analysis, and IT Project Management), business process reengineering, application development, data management, planning and directing major technology projects, and/or planning and directing operations related to IT service delivery and/or project delivery. Knowledge of IT procurement and budgeting within a government or a not for profit organization and interagency/intergovernmental IT management is preferred.
Preferred skills and experience:
• Additional specifics would be discussed at interview, but candidates must be willing to be available after core hours and travel, as needed.
• Demonstrated experience managing large and complex IT organizations or support organizations with decentralized or matrixed organization structures, preferably including tenure within a State or Federal government organization that is comparable to New York State’s profile and scale.
• Demonstrated experience managing in a matrix / shared services support organization (delivery).
• Ability to articulate a technology vision and drive its effective implementation across the enterprise by means of communication and persuasive skills that supplement the authority of the position.
• Experience managing Client Engagement(s) with responsibility that includes developing an account plan to deliver technical services and support.
• Collaborative management and conflict-resolution style.
• Ability to consistently apply effective decision-making and sound problem solving skills even in the most difficult situations.
• Demonstrated ability to implement successful solutions.
• Strong oral communication skills to facilitate dialogues and meetings.
Duties Description The NYS Office of Information Technology Services (ITS) is the State’s centralized Information Technology organization responsible for the design, support and management of technology solutions that drive the State’s most important policy goals and support the business, operations and critical missions of 50+ executive branch agencies. Because ITS is a single, enterprise-grade IT organization, New York State is able to consolidate and optimize IT investments across all of state government, advance IT service delivery best practices and enhance government services to citizens.
ITS employees are the most important asset in achieving ITS’s mission. ITS seeks creative, motivated individuals to contribute to this effort. We work as one connected community of technology professionals and we create opportunities for our employees to build new skills, achieve a higher degree of mastery, and take on bigger challenges. We look for innovative solutions that anticipate our partners’ needs, extending into the “foreseeable future”. We maintain a working environment that empowers our employees to think and act creatively in the best interest of our organization, client-agencies, the State and NYS citizens and businesses.
ITS is unique in that it is foundational to all aspects of government and to all agencies. To this end, ITS currently employs approximately 3,600 professionals who are responsible for an IT expenditure of over $1.5B per year and deliver the full range of information technology solutions and support services to over 50 partner agencies such as the Department of Taxation and Finance, Department of Health, the Justice Center, the Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance, the Office of Children and Family Services, the Department of Labor, the Division of State Police, the Department of Environmental Conservation, the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation the Department of Agriculture and Markets, the Office for People with Developmental Disabilities, the Office of Mental Health, the Office of the Aging, the Department of Motor Vehicles, the Workers’ Compensation Board, the Department of Civil Service and the Division of Veterans Affairs. ITS similarly implements policy across all policy areas such as environmental protection, public safety, economic development and services for vulnerable populations.
Duties Description: The IT Portfolio Executive Director is a key leadership role critical to the successful implementation of our new organization model that is client centric, skills based and process driven. Under the direction of the General Manager of Client Engagement, the Executive Director is responsible for directing and managing an IT consulting organization dedicated to building and supporting technology applications and services that meet the demands of a portfolio of ITS’s client agencies. Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
• Direct the delivery of Agencies’ technology solutions in alignment with the State’s IT Strategic Plan.
• Formulate near-term and long-range strategies for leveraging technology to meet agency user needs.
• Provide critical input into the Information Technology Strategic Plan, which sets the overall technology vision and strategy for their portfolio and for the State.
• Collaborate with the ITS Chief Operations Officer, ITS Enterprise Information Security Officer, and the ITS Chief Technology Officer to align the applications in the Portfolio with the ITS IT services portfolio.
• Foster ITS’ Mission, Values and Goals and serve as a role model for driving a culture and environment of high performance, continuous improvement and morale, including the formulation and tracking of suitable performance metrics for IT.
• Plan, lead and control the operation of the Portfolio to ensure that short and long term financial and other agreed business targets are met.
• Oversee the planning, development, delivery and operation of application and solutions for your Portfolio consistent with the Portfolio’s IT Strategic Plan. Participates in the development of the ITS annual Strategic Plan with direct input from the Agency and uses as a living document throughout the year.
• Oversee operation and preparation of the monthly Portfolio Executive Board (PEB) to provide an executive-level forum for Agency project prioritization, investment decision-making, and to manage change to the project portfolios with the Agency and Department of Budget (DOB).
• Responsible for the annual budget planning and execution of the Portfolio budget. Works strategically with ITS Finance, HR and Procurement to communicate operational and project resource demand and forecast training needs for the Portfolio.
• Develop strategies for identifying the use of ITS Centers of Excellence, which includes but is not limited to Project Management, GIS and Quality Assurance, to improve the Service Delivery outcomes within the Portfolio to maximize and leverage IT resources.
• Drive and foster the standardization of data elements, database management, security needs, network operations and software development to provide enterprise wide solutions, as appropriate, that meet agency business needs.
• Collaborate to identify opportunities for sharing IT services across the ITS Portfolio and central ITS Shared Services teams.
• Oversee the development and implementation of technology standards for the Portfolio (e.g., “deploys solutions consistent with re-usable assets” data security, application architecture, etc.) to ensure a standardized and efficient delivery of technology services throughout the cluster consistent with industry best practices and enterprise technology standards.
• Perform full range of supervisory responsibilities.
• Assist with initiatives and projects, as needed.
Additional Comments Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Selected candidates will be subject to fingerprinting and background check. Selected candidates who are new or returning to NYS service may be required to pay for fingerprinting fees.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Empire State Plaza, PO Box 2062
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit a clear, concise cover letter and resume describing how you qualify, and indicating that you are applying for the IT Portfolio Executive Director position, to HR.Recruitment@its.ny.gov or mail to:
Attn: Louise Nails
NYS Office of IT Services
Empire State Plaza
PO Box 2062
Albany, NY 12220