Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications 12 years’ experience with the application of information technology in support of business objectives and priorities; of which 4 years must have included acting in a management capacity. A Master’s degree may be substituted for up to five years of experience.
General experience must include: Systems development and implementation (including engineering and design, business analysis, and IT Project Management), business process reengineering, application development, data management, planning and directing major technology projects, and/or planning and directing operations related to IT service delivery and/or project delivery. Knowledge of IT procurement and budgeting within a government or a not for profit organization and interagency/intergovernmental IT management is preferred.
Preferred skills and experience:
• Additional specifics would be discussed at interview, but candidates must be willing to be available after core hours and travel, as needed.
• Experience managing large and complex IT organizations with decentralized organization structures, preferably including tenure within a State or Federal government organization that is comparable to New York State’s profile and scale.
• Ability to articulate a technology vision and drive its effective implementation across the enterprise by means of communication and persuasive skills that supplement the authority of the position.
• Experience managing Client Engagement(s) with responsibility that includes developing an account plan to deliver technical services and support.
• Collaborative management and conflict-resolution style.
• Ability to consistently apply effective decision-making and sound problem solving skills even in the most difficult situations.
• Demonstrated ability to implement successful solutions.
• Strong oral communication skills to facilitate dialogues and meetings.
Duties Description The NYS Office of Information Technology Services (ITS) is the State’s centralized Information Technology organization responsible for the design, support and management of technology solutions that drive the State’s most important policy goals and support the business, operations and critical missions of 50+ executive branch agencies. Because ITS is a single, enterprise-grade IT organization, New York State is able to consolidate and optimize IT investments across all of state government, advance IT service delivery best practices and enhance government services to citizens.
ITS employees are the most important asset in achieving ITS’s mission. ITS seeks creative, motivated individuals to contribute to this effort. We work as one connected community of technology professionals and we create opportunities for our employees to build new skills, achieve a higher degree of mastery, and take on bigger challenges. We look for innovative solutions that anticipate our partners’ needs, extending into the “foreseeable future”. We maintain a working environment that empowers our employees to think and act creatively in the best interest of our organization, client-agencies, the State and NYS citizens and businesses.
ITS is unique in that it is foundational to all aspects of government and to all agencies. To this end, ITS currently employs approximately 3,600 professionals who are responsible for an IT expenditure of over $1.5B per year and deliver the full range of information technology solutions and support services to over 50 partner agencies such as the Department of Taxation and Finance, Department of Health, the Justice Center, the Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance, the Office of Children and Family Services, the Department of Labor, the Division of State Police, the Department of Environmental Conservation, the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation the Department of Agriculture and Markets, the Office for People with Developmental Disabilities, the Office of Mental Health, the Office of the Aging, the Department of Motor Vehicles, the Workers’ Compensation Board, the Department of Civil Service and the Division of Veterans Affairs. ITS similarly implements policy across all policy areas such as environmental protection, public safety, economic development and services for vulnerable populations.
Duties Description: Reporting to the NYS Executive Deputy CIO, the General Manager of the Business Centers of Excellence will develop and implement ITS Business Centers of Excellence that support the delivery of IT projects, application development and support and other IT needs of ITS’s 45+ agency clients. Initially, the Business Centers of Excellence will include Project Management and IT Resource Management functions, but will encompass additional Business Centers of Excellence in future phases such as Quality Assurance and Geographic Information System services. Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
• Oversees the planning, development, delivery and operation of ITS’ Business Centers of Excellence, which support over 400 IT projects with an estimated value of over $1B.
• Develops strategies for implementing Business Centers of Excellence to make more effective and efficient use of ITS resources.
• Ultimately responsible for the management of the Business Centers of Excellence to ensure that business needs of agency clients are satisfied in a timely manner.
• Develops strategies and performance standards and the metrics to measure effectiveness and efficiency of the Business Centers of Excellence.
• Develops and implements processes and communication plans for various stakeholders (agency clients, ITS staff, ITS stakeholders).
• Directly supervise the Business Centers of Excellence Directors, overseeing the establishment of priorities, allocation of resources and budget development.
• Informs the ITS executive team relative to ITS direction, strategies, initiatives and services that clients require for successful execution of their missions and delivery of constituent services.
• Directs cross training of staff, based on current and anticipated needs, to enhance career development opportunities and ensure continuity of service.
• Oversees all project deliverables, resolves issues as needed and advises executive staff and managers of issues/problems that may impact outcomes.
• Performs the full range of supervisory responsibilities.
• Assists the Executive Deputy CIO, as needed.
Additional Comments Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Selected candidates will be subject to fingerprinting and background check. Selected candidates who are new or returning to NYS service may be required to pay for fingerprinting fees.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Empire State Plaza, PO Box 2062
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit a clear, concise cover letter and resume describing how you qualify, and indicating that you are applying for the General Manager, Business Centers of Excellence, to HR.Recruitment@its.ny.gov or mail to:
Attn: Louise Nails
NYS Office of IT Services
Empire State Plaza
PO Box 2062
Albany, NY 12220