Office of Information Technology Services
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Information Technology Specialist 2 (Programming).
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-16 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title.
NOTE: If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department's (NYSED) Office of Information Technology Services (ITS) is seeking applicants for an Information Technology Specialist 2 (Programming) position. The incumbent of this position will work within the Installation and Troubleshooting Unit of the Automation Support Center. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Respond to help-desk trouble calls for computer-related problems via phone, remote control, or in person at a customer’s desk;
• Assist other ITS staff to analyze and resolve problems;
• Create work orders via the Footprints system and provide updated inventory data;
• Perform add, change, and delete work order requests for software, equipment, new employees, transfers and staff moves, including identifying and copying user data from old to new computer;
• Deliver new equipment and collect old equipment to be reassigned or recycled;
• Move computer equipment for staff and office relocations;
• Run anti-virus, spyware detection and removal, and data recovery software on staff computers;
• Perform the unpacking, configuration and setup, and delivery and deployment of new computer equipment, and coordinate with office staff receiving new computers;
• Unpack various types of computer equipment and assemble and configure items for setup and delivery;
• Install and configure software and other upgrades according to NYSED standards from NYSED servers and supplied images;
• Troubleshoot PC, laptop, printer and other hardware problems, including problems with scanners, and external hard drives;
• Analyze office computer needs and make recommendations to NYSED managers on how to deploy or redeploy equipment in the most efficient manner; and
• Evaluate new PC-related hardware and software, maintain knowledge to be able to set it up, and explain to users at a high level how to use it.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. This position requires occasional off-shift night and weekend work.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $71,980 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by July 4, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Email submissions preferred.) You must include the Box number (PIMS-322/51841) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by July 4, 2018 to email@example.com. (Email submissions preferred.) You must include the Box number (PIMS-322/51841) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.