Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Museum Instructor.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates who are reachable on the Museum Instructor eligible list may be considered for appointment.
PERFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Special consideration will be given to candidates who possess the following qualifications:
• Experience in the implementation of educational programming for students or educators that supports the New York State Learning Standards in a cultural institution.
• Experience in collaboration with content specialists in the fields of science, history, or art to create education or public programming within a cultural institution.
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Cultural Education is seeking candidates for a Museum Instructor position within the Museum Education Unit of the New York State Museum (NYSM). The NYSM provides programs and lessons to over 70,000 students each year, designed to enhance their understanding of the NYSM exhibits and artifacts. These programs assist schools to increase their emphasis on object and inquiry based learning to help students achieve the New York State Learning Standards. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Plan and deliver NYSM classes, instructional programs and public programs;
• Schedule and provide classroom instruction sessions, both face to face and via distance learning formats, utilizing technology methods in coordination with other Museum Instructors;
• Develop teacher guides, instructional lessons, programs and techniques for classroom use based on New York State Learning Standards with an emphasis on utilization of the NYSM’s collections and exhibits;
• Participate in the development of NYSM exhibits;
• Conduct research, collect and review reading materials and work with NYSM Scientists in preparation for the development and delivery of classroom lessons;
• Prepare necessary teaching aids, promotional and informational booklets and materials for use by school teachers to supplement or substitute for direct NYSM classroom instruction;
• Assist with preparations for major NYSM special events;
• Develop curriculum for NYSM’s summer programming initiatives;
• Provide programs and services to the Thomas O’Brien Academy for Science;
• Develop programming to support the NYSM’s Museum Club after school enrichment program; and
• Assist in the maintenance, procurement and organization of the teaching collections.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. This position will require extensive travel within New York State and may require participation in occasional weekend work hours.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $58,028 with annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by July 5, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org (E-mail submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OCE-1080/27503) of the position in the subject line of your email and/or cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by July 5, 2018 to email@example.com (E-mail submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OCE-1080/27503) of the position in the subject line of your email and/or cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.