Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Southern State Parkway Exit 37N
Minimum Qualifications Four years of full-time experience under a skilled journey-level painter which provided training equivalent to that given in an apprenticeship program. Apprentice training in painting or training gained by the completion of technical courses in painting at a school, institute or a branch of the Armed Services may be substituted for the above training and experience on a year-for-year basis.
Duties Description Reporting to the regional Supervising Painter, the selected candidate will perform journey level work, painting and preparing surfaces and applying coats of paint, varnish and other finishes and stains to decorate and protect interior and exterior surfaces and fixtures of buildings, structures, furniture, equipment and materials. This is a time limited project, expected to be completed in approximately two years.
Duties include but are not limited to:
• Paints surfaces using brush, spray gun paint roller or mittens.
• Selecting common types of paints and finishes based on their durability, suitability for different purposes, and ease of handling and application.
• Estimating the quantity of paint and related materials required to complete a project.
• Prepares surfaces for painting using a variety of tools and materials including sandpaper, brushes, or steel wool, and if required removes paints using paint remover, blow torch, wire brush or scraper.
• Assembles materials, tools and equipment required to accomplish work
• As required erects scaffolding, swing stages or ladders.
• Fills nail holes, cracks or joints with putty, plaster or other fillers.
• Uses premixed paints or prepares paint tip match specified colors by mixing the required portions of pigment, oil, and thinners.
Additional Comments Operational Needs:
Selected candidate must possess and maintain a New York State Motor Vehicle Operator’s License by date of
appointment as a term and condition of employment;
Ability to do basic math such as add, subtract, multiply and divide;
Ability to read and comprehend written and/or verbal material and instructions;
Ability and skill in the use of painting tools;
Ability to prepare job estimates and order shop supplies;
Ability to utilize and train subordinate staff in the use of various trades associated tools and testing equipment;
Ability to supervise skilled, semi-skilled and unskilled work crews;
Ability to lift, carry and move equipment and/or materials of different weights and sizes;
Ability to work from scaffolds and ladders and on roofs.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingThis is a year-round seasonal position, eligible for benefits. It is the responsibility of applicants to accurately describe their experience, and demonstrate that they meet minimum qualifications and agency needs.
If you feel you meet the minimum qualifications, the Agency operating needs and are interested in being considered for this vacancy, you can obtain an Employment Application from your local park office, your region’s administrative headquarters or download an application from the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation website at www.nysparks.com. Please forward your application and resume, if available, to: Janet Grant, Personnel Office, P.O. Box 247, Babylon, NY 11702