Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Appointment method:
List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list numbers 37-561 or 26-051, Legal Assistant 2.
Transfer: Candidates must be eligible for transfer via Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. Information regarding transfer eligibility and on titles that may be able transfer may be available on the Civil Service Career Mobility Office website at: http://careermobilityoffice.cs.ny.gov/cmo/
Note: Under Civil Service Law, an employee cannot have two (2) consecutive upward 70.1 or 52.6 transfers without an
intervening list appointment if such transfers would result in an increase of more than two salary grades.
Duties Description The Department of Financial Services is seeking candidates for the position of Legal Assistant 2. Duties will include, but not be limited to:
• Performs complex paralegal work, including legal research in areas where clear precedent may not be found;
• Analyzes information gathered with minimal direction from attorneys;
• Performs due diligence procedures or research;
• Formats, types, and proofreads legal documents and correspondence for staff;
• Reviews outgoing correspondence for proper grammatical usage, clarity, etc;
• Schedules meetings for staff and maintains calendar for Bureau;
• Reviews, summarizes, drafts communications and documents results of due diligence research;
• Assists with file arrangement and makes recommendations for filing system/processes;
• Maintains records retention system by following the Department’s document retention schedule for proper archival and retrieval of documents;
• Reviews, maintains and updates files, and systems of files to ensure proper documentation supported;
• Assists supervisors with miscellaneous tasks and special projects; and
• Other duties as assigned.
Preferred candidates will have a sound knowledge of business law, effective writing and communication skills, extensive knowledge in conducting research, good business sense and work ethics, and be organized and detail oriented.
Additional Comments Positions located within the New York City metropolitan area, as well as Suffolk, Nassau, Rockland, and Westchester Counties, are also eligible to receive an additional $3,026 annual downstate adjustment.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo Apply: Interested qualified candidates must submit a resume and letter of interest no later than June 28, 2018 to the email address listed below. Please include “Box LA2-00256” in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application. Email submissions are preferred.
New York State Department of Financial Services
Office of Human Resources Management
One Commerce Plaza
Albany, NY 12257
Fax: (518) 402-5071
All candidates that apply may not be scheduled for an interview
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT: REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Department of Financial Services is required to provide reasonable accommodation for known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability if an accommodation would enable the applicant to perform the essential functions of the job. If the accommodation would constitute an undue hardship on the operations of the agency, the agency is not required to provide it.