New York State Library
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Provisional Appointment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or non-competitive 55b/c service as a Senior Librarian (regardless of parenthetic) in a position where at least 50% of your duties involved providing direct public library services; planning collection distribution, maintenance and space allocation; coordinating volunteer and outreach programs; and preparing and selecting materials for conversion to special format as well as developing location tools for these materials OR a master’s degree from a program accredited by the American Library Association AND three or more years of professional Librarian experience in a medium to large library environment providing library services and outreach to populations requiring audio and/or braille materials.
Duties Description The New York State Library’s (NYSL) Office of Cultural Education (OCE) is seeking candidates for an Associate Librarian (Blind) position in the New York State Talking Book and Braille Library (TBBL). The TBBL is a free braille and talking book library service for people with temporary or permanent low vision, blindness or a physical disability that prevents them from reading or holding the printed page. Under the direction of the State Librarian, the Associate Librarian (Blind) will provide strategic vision, leadership and supervision of day-to-day activities of the TBBL. The incumbent will be responsible for the oversight of the TBBL services and collections including: collection development, reader’s advisory, circulation of books and playback equipment, Braille and Audio Reading Download (BARD) and interlibrary loans (ILL). Other duties of this position will include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Plan, implement, evaluate and oversee TBBL operations including: circulation, reference, ILL’s, reader’s advisory services, collection development, collection and equipment storage, inventory and maintenance;
• Establish TBBL policies and procedures;
• Plan, prepare and monitor TBBL budgets;
• Review, monitor and evaluate work flows and work assignments to increase efficiencies and improve delivery of customer services;
• Supervise two/three Senior Librarian’s and provide general supervision for 12 clerical staff;
• Identify and oversee the implementation of new and innovative technologies to improve and extend service to patrons;
• Develop and implement a public awareness, education and outreach plan for use in the TBBL service area;
• Interpret and enforce Library, New York State Education Department (NYSED) and Library of Congress (LC)/National Library Services (NLS) guidelines, policies and procedures;
• Serve as the liaison to the LC/NLS;
• Attend and present at consumer organizations and other types of constituent gatherings and conferences and provide updates and information about the TBBL programs and services;
• Participate in Research Library, OCE and inter-agency committees, as assigned; and
• Perform other duties, as assigned.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a provisional appointment. Promotions may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. The work schedule for this position includes hours of Monday through Friday (8:30am – 5:00pm) with rotating Saturdays (9:15am – 5:15pm).
*Leads to a maximum salary of $102,661 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by July 17, 2018 to email@example.com (E-mail applications are preferred). You must include the Box number (OCE-1061/22971) in the subject line of your email and/or cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by July 17, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org (E-mail applications are preferred). You must include the Box number (OCE-1061/22971) in the subject line of your email and/or cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.