Minimum Qualifications EITHER: 1) Reachable on the Civil Service eligible list (if you are on the eligible list for this title you will automatically be canvassed for this position if your score is reachable for potential employment); OR 2) Eligible for reassignment by virtue of having permanent competitive service as a Senior Accountant (G-18); OR 3) eligible for transfer under the provisions of Section 70.1, 52.6 or 70.4 of the Civil Service Law.
Duties Description The position of senior accountant will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following duties:
•Internal financial analysis for management and decision-makers
•Monthly and quarterly internal financial reporting and analysis
•Acting as the Department resource for the analysis, development, and maintenance of internal controls
•Documenting department internal control processes through narratives, flowcharts, and risk matrixes
•Coordinating responses and corrective actions related to findings from internal and external auditors
•Developing and reporting Finance Department performance statistics
•Assisting in the preparation and review of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR)
•Assisting in the implementation of Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB) pronouncements
•Creation and revision of Department and unit procedures and forms; coordinating the annual review of Department policies.
•Participation in cross-functional Finance Department projects
Additional Comments Professional experience in financial analysis, planning, and reporting.
• Professional accounting/audit experience in any of the following: public pension system, private pension system, insurance company, or public accounting firm
• Experience in assessing risks and evaluating internal controls
• Bachelors or advanced degree in accounting, finance, or business
• Interest in pursuing licensure, progress towards licensure, or current licensure as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
• Working knowledge of PeopleSoft
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Word
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Ability to work both independently and with the team
• Ability to self-manage workload
• Commitment to providing exceptional customer service
• Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to prioritize
• Desire to learn and improve professional skills
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.