Minimum Qualifications Applicants must have at least (3) years of post-admission experience in real estate, commercial transactions, and/or regulatory compliance. Prior experience with offering plans and real estate closings is strongly preferred. A background in specific areas such as corporate law, syndications, real estate investments, and/or affordable housing is also desirable. Applicants also must have excellent written and oral communications skills and the ability to work in a highly structured, fast-paced environment while meeting rigorous statutory deadlines.
Applicants must reside in (or intend to soon become a resident of) New York State and be admitted to practice law in New York State. In addition, the Public Officers Law requires that attorneys in the Office be citizens of the United States. A two (2) year commitment upon being hired is a condition of employment.
Duties Description The New York State Office of the Attorney General is seeking an attorney with experience in real estate, commercial transactions, and/or regulatory compliance to serve as a review attorney in the Real Estate Finance Bureau (REF).
REF, through Article 23-A of the New York General Business Law (the “Martin Act”) and governing regulations, regulates the public offer and sale of real estate securities, including cooperative interests in realty such as cooperatives, condominiums, timeshares, homeowner associations, and syndications. The Martin Act requires sponsors (or developers) of cooperative interests in realty to submit a prospectus or offering plan to REF before offering or selling any units or apartments to the public. REF also regulates the conversion of rental buildings to condominiums or cooperatives as well as affordable housing developments that include the offer of cooperative interests in realty.
REF review attorneys review submissions to REF for statutory and regulatory compliance, and protect the public through ensuring that all such submissions apprise purchasers of all material information. Review attorneys will also have opportunities to assist in developing policies and regulations and participate in investigations related to violations of the Martin Act and governing regulations.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Reviewing large docket of offering plans and amendments related to cooperative interests in realty, including complex conversion plans for occupied buildings and affordable housing offerings;
• Reviewing applications for regulatory exemptions, including those related to out-of-state offerings and homeowners association offerings;
• Interacting on a regular basis with attorneys for other government agencies and real estate developers, including drafting and issuing detailed written letters concerning statutory and regulatory compliance;
• Assisting with developing policy, regulations, and legislative initiatives; and
• Coordinating with REF enforcement attorneys on investigations related to violations of the Martin Act and governing regulations.
• Drafting Assurances of Discontinuance related to Martin Act violations.
Additional Comments Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
The OAG is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to workplace diversity.
Salary commensurate with experience.
PLEASE NOTE: Unless otherwise specified in the “Notes on Applying” section, the “Application Due” date associated with this posting is not the last day applications can be submitted. Applications for this position will be accepted by the hiring bureau on a rolling basis until a candidate is selected; recruitment for this position can be closed or suspended at any time. For the most current information on available position vacancies, applicants are advised to review the Office of the New York State Attorney General website (www.ag.ny.gov/job-postings) or contact the Legal Recruitment Bureau via email at email@example.com or phone at 212-416-8080.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Legal Recruitment Bureau - 28 Liberty St
Notes on ApplyingHOW TO APPLY
Applications are being received online. To apply, please visit our website at http://www.ag.ny.gov/job-postings. Reference No. REF_NYC_TRA/AAG _3165
Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
• Cover Letter (You may address to Sandra Jefferson Grannum, Esq., Bureau Chief, Legal Recruitment)
• List of three (3) references with contact information and email addresses
• Writing Sample
• Transcript (if less than five years postgraduate)
Please note: Failure to submit a complete application will delay the consideration of your application.
If you have questions about a position with the OAG, the application process or assistance with submitting your application, please contact the Legal Recruitment Bureau via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 212-416-8080.
For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: www.ag.ny.gov.