Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Under the general direction of the Executive Director, Division of Minority & Women’s Business Development (DMWBE), the incumbent provides technical advice and problem-solving assistance to economic/business development organizations and businesses or prospective businesses concerning a broad spectrum of economic development problems and issues. The incumbent monitors and supports enforcement of agency compliance with the provisions of Article 15-A and the attendant rules and regulations concerning the utilization of MWBEs on state contracts.
The incumbent promotes growth and opportunity for MWBE firms through education and outreach to agencies and prime contractors throughout New York State. Such activities will include, but not be limited to: finding and disseminating information on contracting opportunities; providing information and training regarding tools for launching/expanding a business; technical support; marketing access to capital programs; and participating in and/or developing local/regional events and workshops. Incumbent will be assigned regional areas for targeted support, while serving statewide MWBE program needs, as required. Statewide travel is required.
Duties Description The duties for this position include, but may not be limited to:
• Researches and reports on significant regional and Statewide economic development issues and problems.
• Compiles economic/business development information needed for program management and client service delivery purposes.
• Administers aspects of specialized business/economic development and promotional programs and projects, such as grant programs, trade shows, site visit programs, etc.
• Prepares specialized information on incentives and other economic development tools specifically tailored to facilitate client business development (e.g. expansion, product or market diversification, etc.).
• Provides information needed by other Division units to ensure the participation of eligible firms in MWBE initiatives, including certification, business development, and training.
• Manages group projects to timely completion of deliverables by Business Development, and reports to Executive Director on progress.
• Develops and provides planning for MWBE-related events (expos, forums, conferences, etc.) and coordinates workshops to promote growth and opportunity for MWBE firms, and represents DMWBE at such events.
• Develops and provides trainings and technical assistance to businesses and external technical assistance provider partners.
• Develops and provides trainings and workshops, education, outreach and resource materials to agencies/authorities, municipalities and other government agencies and businesses in accessing, finding and identifying MWBE contracting opportunities and business strategies.
• Provides support to agencies/authorities to develop new ways to create opportunities for MWBE firms, including attending meetings with agencies/authorities to discuss progress, reporting, and follow-up activities.
• Identifies business opportunities in contracting and in capital programs for MWBEs, and counsel MWBEs on business strategies.
• Identify prime contractors to create pathways for MWBE supply chain distribution networks, and identify firms that have success in NYS contracting.
• Monitor agency/authority procurements, RFPs and contracting opportunities in NYSCS.
• Investigates and develops recommendations on business development for firms and provide programmatic assistance and prepare program reports.
• Represents ESD on behalf of the Business Development Unit in participation on panels for various business seminars.
• May supervise Economic Development Program Specialists 1 assigned to project teams.
• Statewide travel required.
• Special projects as assigned.
Additional Comments Education and Requirements:
Open to current NYS employees with one year of service in an Economic Development Program Specialist 2 position and to those reachable on the Economic Development Program Specialist 2 eligible list. No need to apply if on this list - we are canvassing all list candidates.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingIf interested in this position, please forward a cover letter and resume to the e-mail address below by July 16, 2018. Be sure to indicate the position title and location you are applying for, and specify how you meet the minimum qualifications in your cover letter.