Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Successful completion of a NYS two-year Electrician Traineeship or NYS two-year electrician training program; OR successful completion of any equivalent electrical two-year training or apprenticeship program;* OR four (4) years of full-time experience in the electrical trade under a skilled journey-level electrician which would provide training equivalent to that given in an apprenticeship program. Apprenticeship training in the electrical trade or training gained by completion of technical courses in the electrical trade at a school, institute, or branch of the Armed Services may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
* Successful completion of the traineeship and the training program includes a total of 288 hours of trade-specific class room instruction, 45 hours of technical math course work, 45 hours of technical communications course work, and 15 hours of blueprint/schematic reading course work. Course work must be completed with an average of C or better. Additionally, successful completion of the traineeship also includes 4,000 hours of on-the-job training.
Duties Description The selected candidate must be able to complete the tasks at a journey-level competency:
• Test electrical circuits to locate shorts, faulty connections and defective parts using test meters
• Plan, layout and install conduit, wiring, fixtures, motors, and other electrical systems
• Install control and distribution apparatus such as switches, relays and circuit breakers
• Properly use equipment, material and tools in a safe and professional manner
• Lead Maintenance Assistants and Helpers in work completion
• Read diagrams, blueprints, motor and generator diagrams
• Have a working knowledge of and be proficient in the application of the National Electric Code.
Must have the ability to stand, bend stoop, sit, twist and work at elevated heights using ladders and scaffolds for extended periods of time.
Candidates will be required to explain and demonstrate their skills and competency for this position.
Successful candidates in the position must be able to effectively communicate with coworkers, supervisors and the campus community. This position may require you to work in a team so the candidate should have strong interpersonal and teamwork skills. The candidate must possess and have proven positive customer service skills; must also possess good listening skills and be able to understand and follow written and/or oral instructions.
Since the activities of other employees depend upon the availability of the employee in this position, reliable attendance is a factor that will be considered when filling this vacancy.
This position requires traveling within and between campuses. A valid license to operate a motor vehicle in NYS is preferred, or candidate should otherwise demonstrate his/her capacity to meet the transportation needs of the position.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.