Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
777 Seaview Ave
Minimum Qualifications Candidates must be reachable for appointment on the current Civil Service eligible list for the title.
Transfer Opportunity - Candidates must be currently serving permanently in the Director of Nursing title and eligible for transfer; OR be eligible to transfer via Section 70.1 of Civil Service Law by having at least one year of permanent service in a title approved for transfer by Civil Service within one salary M grade of the M-4 level.
Provisional Opportunity – In the event that there is not a valid eligible list, candidates who meet the following open competitive qualifications may be qualified for a provisional appointment: a license and current registration to practice as a Registered Nurse in New York State; AND
two years of post-licensure clinical nursing experience working exclusively with individuals diagnosed with mental illness or multiple disabilities. (A diagnosis of multiple disabilities requires services for two or more mental disabilities, at least one of which must be a diagnosable mental illness, such as combined psychiatric illness and chemical addiction, or combined psychiatric illness and developmental disability); AND
**Either 1. a bachelor’s degree in Nursing and two years of managerial experience performing duties as an Assistant Director of Nursing, Associate Director of Nursing, Director of Nursing, Vice President of Nursing, Chief Nursing Officer, or Chief Executive Nursing Officer as described below;*
**Or 2. a master’s or higher level degree in Biology, Business Administration, Community Mental Health, Community Services Administration, Counseling, Education (with a specialty in a health care area), Epidemiology, Health, Health Care Administration, Hospital Administration, Human Services, Nursing, Psychology, Public Administration, Public Health, Rehabilitation, Social Work, or Special Education, and one year of managerial experience performing duties as an Assistant Director of Nursing, Associate Director of Nursing, Director of Nursing, Vice President of Nursing, Chief Nursing Officer, or Chief Executive Nursing Officer as described below;* Vice President of Nursing, Chief Nursing Officer of Chief Executive Nursing Officer as described below;*
*In order to be qualifying, your managerial experience:
• must have been gained in a mental health, developmental disabilities, addictions or long-term care setting or in a discrete psychiatric program in a health care facility, and
• must have included overall responsibility for developing, implementing and evaluating heath or mental health nursing programs and services. Specific duties must have included: providing input for strategic long-range planning and policy and procedure formulation for the entire nursing department, and nursing department human resource responsibility. In addition, duties must have included three of the following: ensuring interdisciplinary service integration; establishment of standards of nursing practice and care; quality of care monitoring; facilitation of evidence-based practice; and nursing department material/fiscal resource management.
If you are appointed provisionally, you must take the next scheduled Civil Service examination for this title and your score must be reachable on the resulting eligible list before you can be permanently appointed. If you do not pass the examination or achieve a reachable score, you may not be retained.
1. You must be licensed and currently registered to practice nursing in New York State. If you fail to maintain your registration, action will be taken to remove you from your position.
2. In order to be eligible for appointment and to maintain employment, you cannot be listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of the Federal and/or State Medicaid and Medicare exclusion lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program). If you are appointed and subsequently listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of these lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program), you may be terminated from your employment.
3. If appointed you may be required to become an enrolled Medicare provider; obtain and provide to your employer a National Provider Identifier (NPI) number issued by the National Plan and Provider Enumeration System (NPPES); and otherwise actively participate to the degree necessary to allow for your services to be billed through Medicare and Medicaid. If you are appointed and you lose the ability to bill through Medicare and Medicaid, you may be terminated from your employment
Duties Description As Director of Nursing, you would serve as a member of an executive-level management team and participate in the decision-making process regarding facility policies. Those policies may include, but are not limited to, the mission, vision, strategic plan, operations plan, resource allocation and budget of a mental health psychiatric center. You would be responsible and accountable for the clinical decision-making and direction of all aspects of care provided by the entire nursing staff.
Additional Comments Background Investigation/Justice Center Review: Prospective appointees will be: 1) Checked against the Staff Exclusion List (SEL) maintained by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs. Prospective employees whose names appear on the SEL as having been found responsible for serious or repeated acts of abuse or neglect will be barred from appointment and may have their names removed from the eligible list(s) for the title(s) if applicable. 2) Investigated through a Criminal Background Check (CBC), which includes State and federal Criminal History Record Checks. All convictions must be reported; conviction of a felony or misdemeanor, or any falsified or omitted information on the prospective appointee’s employment application, may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment. Each case will be determined on its own merits, consistent with the applicable provisions of State and federal laws, rules, and regulations. Prospective employees will be fingerprinted in order to obtain a record of their criminal history information, and may be required to pay any necessary fees. 3) Screened against the Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment (SCR). Prospective employees will be required to pay any necessary fees. Additionally, prospective employees whose names are indicated on the SCR may be barred from appointment.
The New York State Office of Mental Health (OMH) operates the largest state mental health system in the country, with 22 hospitals, 90 clinics, two world class research institutes and community services quality oversight for a state of over 19 million people. OMH hospitals are all Joint Commission accredited and recognized as among the best mental health hospital systems in the US. Patients stay as long as needed and treatment is comprehensive, recovery oriented and all services are built on principles of effective, measurable and accountable care.
Additional Comments: Generous fringe benefits include health insurance, dental, vision and prescription drug coverage as well as paid vacation, personal and sick leave, access to group rates for life, home and auto insurance, 529 college savings program, employer sponsored tax deferred savings program and defined benefit retirement plan.
The posted hiring rate is the sum of the statutory hiring rate for M/C M-4 ($107,800), a Geographic Pay Differential ($12,871) and Downstate Adjustment ($3,026). The posted job rate is the sum of the statutory job rate ($136,042), Geographic Pay Differential ($12,871) and Downstate Adjustment ($3,026).
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
777 Seaview Avenue
Notes on ApplyingPlease indicate the Title, Vacancy ID # and Location of the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email or fax. Please complete the Office of Mental Health Employment Application and submit it along with your other application materials via fax, mail or the Human Resources email address noted above.