Office of School Personnel Review and Accountability
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Legal Assistant.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for Legal Assistant 1 or Legal Assistant Trainee 1.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Legal Assistant 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-12 or above deemed eligible for transfer under section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Legal Assistant Trainee 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-09 or above deemed eligible for transfer under section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
NOTE: If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for a Legal Assistant 1 position within the Office of School Personnel Review and Accountability (OSPRA). This Office is responsible for investigating complaints concerning allegations about the moral character of individuals who hold or are applicants for NYS teaching certificates. In addition, this Office provides administrative support for due process hearings for tenured teachers pursuant to Education Law, Section 3020. This Office is also responsible for determining whether employment clearances for school district officials should be issued based upon fingerprint supported criminal history background checks. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Utilize spreadsheets and the TEACH Online Services System database to track the progress of due process reviews of criminal history issues and appeals resulting from them;
• Maintain and update appeal calendars;
• Review legal documents and forms to determine timeliness and sufficiency;
• Assist attorneys in preparation of due process correspondence and gather materials to assist with litigation issues involving fingerprinting.
• Review fingerprint supported criminal history results and prepare appropriate charts;
• Prepare exhibits and documents in proper form for appeals;
• Prepare both oral and written correspondence with applicants, attorneys and school officials relative to fingerprint review and/or appeals;
• Process distribution and notification of appeal decisions;
• Format, type and proofread legal documents;
• Independently track, organize, and coordinate cases, including locating and distributing files daily to attorneys and legal staff;
• Prioritize and manage deadlines in accordance with legal timeframes;
• Provide extensive assistance to staff in relation to completion of legal tasks, administrative appeal reviews, and general review of legal documents; and
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits.
The salary listed above applies to candidates appointed to Legal Assistant 1, SG-14. The hiring rate for candidates appointed to Legal Assistant Trainee 1 starts at $40,324 and, for current New York State employees, is based on the candidate’s salary at the time of hire. Transfer candidates to Legal Assistant Trainee 1 and appointees from the Legal Assistant Trainee 1 list will serve a two-year traineeship leading to the grade 14 salary level.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $58,028 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by August 14, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (OHE-623/19360) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by August 14, 2018 to email@example.com (email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (OHE-623/19360) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.