Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Successful completion of a NYS two-year Electrician Traineeship or NYS two-year electrician training program; OR successful completion of any equivalent electrical two-year training or apprenticeship program;* OR four (4) years of full-time experience in the electrical trade under a skilled journey-level electrician which would provide training equivalent to that given in an apprenticeship program. Apprenticeship training in the electrical trade or training gained by completion of technical courses in the electrical trade at a school, institute, or branch of the Armed Services may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
*Successful completion of the traineeship and the training program includes a total of 288 hours of trade-specific classroom instruction, 45 hours of technical math coursework, 45 hours of technical communications coursework, and 15 hours of blueprint/schematic reading coursework. Coursework must be completed with an average of C or better. Additionally, successful completion of the traineeship also includes 4,000 hours of on-the-job training.
Duties Description • Performs journeyman level electrical duties.
• Working knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in electrical trade.
• Repairs, maintains, and installs electrical systems and equipment including but not limited to fixtures, motors, load centers, relays, controls, circuitry, and related equipment in accordance with the National Electrical Code.
• Locates and determines electrical malfunctions using test instruments such as ammeter, volt meter and ohmmeter.
• Plans new or modifies installations consistent with specifications and national electrical code.
• Will be required to plan and lay out work, develop time and material lists for projects assigned.
• Will be required to read and interpret plans, codes, diagrams, architectural blueprints and specifications.
• Tests, adjusts, calibrates and maintains a wide variety of control equipment, including but not limited to building heating, air conditioning, and ventilating equipment controls for refrigeration; and for a wide variety of other equipment and systems.
• Performs maintenance, and preventative maintenance on mechanical equipment including but not limited to bathroom exhaust fans, clothes dryers, sump pumps and generators.
• Will be required to train and supervise others.
• Requires daily travel within the district.
• May require some travel within NY State to assist other districts with special projects.
• Working knowledge of safety standards and procedures.
• Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
• Candidate will be trained in the operations and maintenance procedures as related to Asbestos Containing Materials.
• Basic computer skills preferred.
• Valid NYS Driver’s License.
Additional Comments APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Submit cover letter and résumé by August 14, 2018 to:
DDSOO 4 – Hudson Valley
Human Resources Department
P.O. Box 470
7 Wilbur Road
Thiells, NY 10984
Phone: 845-947-6000, option 3, option 5
Please reference the above EOA # in all correspondence.
• Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by closures. If you are being impacted by closure, please indicate this on your resume/cover letter.
• All OPWDD employees must be eligible and maintain eligibility for full and unconditional participation in the Medicare and Medicaid programs. Continued employment will depend on maintaining eligibility.
• If you are employed by state government you may be able to receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). The PSLF Program forgives the remaining balance on Direct Loans after 120 qualifying monthly payments have been made under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a qualifying employer. For more information on PSLF, please visit www.studentAid.gov/publicservice.
• OPWDD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER.
• Work schedule may vary based on operational need.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
P.O. Box 470
Notes on ApplyingElectrician is responsible for all electrical work including the planning and laying out of work and the diagnosis of trouble in electrical systems or equipment in an assigned area, on an assigned project or for an entire district.