Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Current New York State employee with one year or more of permanent, contingent-permanent or 55b/c service as an Associate Director Human Resources 3; OR current New York State employee with one year or more of permanent, contingent-permanent or 55b/c service in a position allocated to a M-2/Grade 27 and above and eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law.
Provisional Pending Exam Minimum Qualifications:
One year or more of permanent, contingent-permanent or 55b/c service as an Associate Director Human Resources 2 or an Associate Director Human Resources 1.
Non-Competitive Promotion (NCP):
If there are no more than three qualified candidates in the promotion field for this position, the agency will request approval from the Department of Civil Service to fill this position via a non-competitive promotion (NCP) examination, pursuant to Section 52.7 of the Civil Service Law. In order to be eligible for the NCP, candidates must be in the departmental promotion field and have one year or more in a permanent or contingent-permanent competitive, or 55b/c service in an Associate Director Human Resources 1, M-1.
NOTE: A comprehensive list of titles approved for transfer to Associate Director Human Resources 3 is available in the Division of Human Resources Management or through Civil Service GOT-IT available at www.cs.ny.gov.
Duties Description New York State Office of General Services (OGS) is seeking an experienced, energetic, innovative HR Professional to direct our Personnel Services Unit. The Personnel Office is largest of the three offices within the Division of Human Resources Management with 25 staff members. It is comprised of three sub-units, Personnel Services Unit (PSU), the Management Services Unit (MSU), and the Analytics-Transaction Unit (ATU).
The Personnel Services and Management Services Units provide recruitment, classification, exam planning and general personnel services for all OGS Business Units and 10 hosted state agencies. In addition, the MSU oversees employee on-boarding, performance evaluation programs, discretionary leaves, manages transfers of function between OGS and hosted BSC agencies, employee heath services evaluations, and the Employee Assistance Program.
In addition to submitting transactions into the Human Capital Management System (HCM), the Analytics-Transaction Unit provides HR analytic services for all units within the Division, as well as business unit customers, both for OGS and our 10 hosted agencies.
Reporting to the Director, Human Resources Management 5, this position will be a key member of the leadership team responsible for managing personnel teams, recommending and implementing strategy and policy changes, and advising the agency on personnel activities. Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
• Advise Senior Executives and managers on effective organizational structuring, recruitment, retention, classification, compensation, and examination planning strategies.
• Oversee all aspects of Personnel including the Personnel Services Unit (PSU), Management Services Unit (MSU), and the Analytics-Transaction Unit (ATU).
• Evaluate policies and processes, recommend improvements, and implement streamlined and/or automated solutions where possible.
• Develop and implement professional development programs specific to personnel related matters.
• Oversee administration of recruitment activities, providing direction to ensure compliance with Civil Service Law, Rules and Regulations.
• Oversee probation, traineeship, and performance program/evaluation administration.
• Oversee complex or sensitive classification requests and/or other Civil Service requests.
• Work proactively with the OGS Business Services Center on issues related to employee payroll, benefits and leave issues.
• Interact with OGS and hosted agency Finance Offices. Manage positions requiring Budget Director Approval.
• Work with Labor Relations staff on time and attendance, grievance, and disciplinary issues.
• Oversee on-boarding, off-boarding and new employee orientation administration.
• Work with the Center for Recruitment and Public Service on the Empire/Excelsior Fellows Program and item management statewide.
• Keep the Director apprised of pertinent issues, represent the Director and/or assist with special projects, as required.
Additional Desired Skills and Experience:
• Expert knowledge of NYS Civil Service Law, Rules and Regulations.
• Well organized, mission-focused leader who can lead and work in a team environment.
• Strong interpersonal, coaching and listening skills.
• Ability to communicate within all levels of the organization, from senior executives to line staff.
• Strong background in recruiting and classification.
• Ability to multi-task in a rapidly changing, fast paced environment.
• Strong desire to provide excellent customer service.
• Change agent committed to continuous process improvement
• Strategic Thinker adept at identifying and executing creative solutions to organizational and human capital priorities.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Position Title & Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.