Minimum Qualifications Grade 18
A bachelor’s degree or higher in Accounting, Business Administration Economics, Finance, Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering or in a closely related field, and two years of professional investment experience.
Qualifying experience includes:
Investment-related duties reflecting a fundamental knowledge of the financial markets and an understanding of the economic forces that impact the financial markets, or analysis of financial or economic data; investment risk or portfolio management; investment operations; investment compliance, investment auditing, investment accounting, and quantitative analysis.
Commercial real estate investing (investment acquisitions or asset management) or commercial mortgage lending, specifically involving the financing, investing in, leasing of, or asset management of large commercial real estate assets (generally properties worth $10 million or more);
Non-qualifying experience includes: Activities applicable to small commercial properties (e.g., two to four family homes), the sale or brokerage of single-family homes, or experience marketing or selling financial service products to individuals, as performed by financial advisors and stockbrokers.
Successful completion of all three levels of the CFA exam may substitute for two years of experience; a Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA) designation, a Certified Commercial Investment Member (CCIM), a Member of the Appraisal Institute (MAI), or a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) may substitute for one year of experience; and a master’s degree in Business Administration concentrating in Finance or a closely related concentration may substitute for two years of experience.
Duties Description Under the general direction of higher level staff, the TRS Investment Officer Trainee/TRS Investment Officer 1 will perform the following duties:
- Participate in the preparation of the portfolio strategic plan
- Participate in the underwriting of new property acquisitions and fund investments
- Review, analyze and comment on property specific annual business plans including
budget, capital plans, leasing, financing, valuations and hold/sell determinations
- Monitor and report on property performance on an ongoing basis and suggest corrective actions, if needed
- Participate in on-site property inspections for directly owned properties
- Review and comment on annual financial statement audits and periodic external appraisals for directly owned properties
- Work with external service providers including separate account advisors, joint venture partners, property managers, leasing agents, accountants, attorneys, appraisers, etc.
- Participate in the disposition process for directly owned properties
- Monitor and report on an ongoing basis on commingled fund performance
- Represent NYSTRS at advisory board meetings
- Present on portfolio investments at internal management meetings, IIIC, REAC and Board meetings
- Stay abreast of real estate market conditions and trends through discussions with industry participants and attendance at industry conferences
- Other duties as needed
- Travel required
Additional Comments Preferred Skills
- Critical thinking skills
- Ability to work in a team environment, providing and accepting input/feedback on transactions
- Previous real estate experience and knowledge
- Previous financial analysis experience
- Computer literacy including familiarity with Microsoft products
- Commitment to providing exceptional customer service
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience using Microsoft Excel
- Master’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, Finance, Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering or in a closely related field
-Having one or more of the following certifications: CAIA, CPA, CCIM, MAI, or CFA
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.