Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
213 Creek Road
Minimum Qualifications Candidates must be in title, eligible for transfer, or reachable on the current Civil Service Eligible List. Candidates that do not meet those criteria may be eligible for provisional appointment if they have a bachelors degree in Therapeutic Recreation; or a bachelors degree in Recreation, Physical Education, or Adaptive Physical Education and one year of experience in planning and administering a therapeutic recreation program; or current credentials as a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialists (CTRS) issued by the National Council For Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC).
Duties Description POSITION DESCRIPTION:
The person in this position will ensure the provision of therapeutic and rehabilitative recreation programs, enhancing the physical, mental, and social well-being of individuals served. They will develop, implement, direct, and evaluate recreational activities and programs, including but not limited to competitive and non-competitive sports, arts, crafts, club activities, shows, holiday programs, and cultural activities.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Function as a member of the interdisciplinary treatment team as a Recreation Therapist.
• Deliver a variety of recreation activities for individuals and/or groups, and adapt activities to adjust
to the function level, physical ability, and/or rehabilitative and clinical needs of participants.
• Ensure that delivered recreation activities follow recreation department policies and procedures.
• Coordinate recreational activities with external parties to provide additional opportunities for
assigned individuals and/or groups.
• Write and submit detailed activities reports and participant progress notes to upper level staff for
recreation therapy activities.
• Observe and record individuals’ participation, reactions, behavioral patterns, and progress over
the course of recreational programming, and report changes to treatment team.
• Recommend new activities to address the recreational needs of individuals and/or groups.
• Order and maintain recreation supplies and equipment for assigned activities.
• Attend recreation department and/or treatment team meetings.
• Other duties as assigned.
Additional Comments Please note:
• For CSEA positions: Local Bidding Agreements will be honored.
• All OPWDD employees must be eligible and maintain eligibility for full and unconditional participation
in the Medicare and Medicaid programs. Continued employment will depend on maintaining eligibility.
• OPWDD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
• Employees on long term leave can bid on positions but must be able to report to work within fourteen
(14) days and be able to perform the essential functions of their positions with or without reasonable accommodation (RA). If an employee believes that he or she needs a reasonable accommodation, they should contact the NYS OPWDD Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Central Office at (518) 402-7644 or
Email at Affirmative.Action@opwdd.ny.gov to obtain information and RA forms.
• OPWDD participates in Federal Loan Forgiveness Programs. For more information go to: www.studentaid.ed.gov/publicservice.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingSubmit Response to Posting form, cover letter, and résumé by August 14, 2018 to:
Broome DDSOO Human Resources Office
249 Glenwood Road
Binghamton, NY 13905
Please reference EOA # 180814B in all correspondence.