Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
15598 State Highway 8
Minimum Qualifications Candidates must be licensed and currently registered to practice nursing in New York State, or possess a limited permit to practice nursing in New York State. (You must obtain your New York State license within one year of the date of appointment or action will be taken to remove you from the position.)
a bachelor's or higher degree in one of the areas listed below*
two years of professional clinical nursing experience, including at least one year as described below **
30 college credits in the areas listed below* IN ADDITION TO an associate's degree in nursing or completion of a three-year nursing program (attach a copy of your college transcript(s) to your OC-APP)
three years of professional clinical nursing experience, including at least one year as described below **
* acceptable areas include nursing, health care administration, public administration in a health care area, public health, community mental health, community mental health counseling, psychology, sociology, biology, social work or human services. The 30 credits may include up to two statistics courses. Courses/degrees in physical education, recreation therapy, English, history, math, anthropology, languages, etc. are NOT acceptable.
** one year of experience in providing direct services to individuals diagnosed with mental illness, developmental disabilities, or alcohol or substance abuse in a COMMUNITY SETTING, e.g., a halfway house, visiting nurse, or a community clinic.
Duties Description This position will report to the Nurse Administrator in Broome County with work assignments to include Delaware County.
This Community Mental Health Nurse works within the framework of a treatment team providing nursing services to individuals diagnosed developmental disabilities and their caretakers/families. They visit the individual's home to identify factors in the social, psychological and physical environment which may contribute to this individual's disability; make recommendations for emergency or continuing care; suggest alternative treatment plans; teach caretakers/family methods of dealing with emergencies; and provide advice on the availability of medical, social and housing facilities for the individual in the community. They intervene and administer emergency treatment; engage in treatment modalities such as health teaching, individual and group psychotherapy, family therapy or milieu therapy as appropriate; work with appropriate community agencies as necessary and insure a coordinated team treatment plan. They may supervise and counsel paraprofessional and professional personnel in health-related activities and participate in the staff development and teaching program of Broome DDSOO.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Function in the role of Community Mental Health Nurse.
• Other duties as assigned. Specific duties discussed during interview including description of case load and travel involved. Caseload will include Individuals residing in State Operated sites.
Additional Comments Candidates may be eligible for increased hiring rate and geographic pay.
• All OPWDD employees must be eligible and maintain eligibility for full and unconditional participation in the Medicare and Medicaid programs. Continued employment will depend on maintaining eligibility.
• OPWDD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
• Employees on long term leave can bid on positions but must be able to report to work within fourteen (14) days and be able to perform the essential functions of their positions with or without reasonable accommodation (RA). If an employee believes that he or she needs a reasonable accommodation, they should contact the NYS OPWDD Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Central Office at (518) 402-7644 or Email at Affirmative.Action@opwdd.ny.gov to obtain information and RA forms.
• OPWDD participates in Federal Loan Forgiveness Programs. For more information go to: www.studentaid.ed.gov/publicservice.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingSubmit cover letter, Response to Posting form, and résumé by August 21, 2018 to:
Broome DDSOO Human Resources Office
249 Glenwood Road
Binghamton, NY 13905
Please reference EOA # 180821F in all correspondence.