Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
44 Holland Avenue
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Candidates must be reachable on the current Civil Service Legal Specialties List or be eligible to transfer under Section 70.1 or 52.6 of the Civil Service Law.
Duties Description PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
The Office of Counsel provides legal guidance and services to the Office for People with Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD) service network on the myriad of issues arising from the delivery of supports and services to individuals with developmental disabilities. This position will report to the Deputy Counsel for Policy and Regulatory Affairs. The Bureau of Policy and Regulatory Affairs oversees the preparation of the agency’s legislative agenda, regulations, Administrative Directive Memoranda (ADMS), and policies and is responsible for the development of OPWDD regulations in accordance with the requirements of the State Administrative Procedure Act (SAPA). The Bureau also supervises agency compliance with agency confidentiality requirements, ethics, Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) requests, and legal issues related to records management, and supervises the agency’s administrative adjudication function.
As a Senior Attorney, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
• Provide oversight in the drafting of regulations and policy documents necessary to implement State and Federal requirements, and ensure that the regulatory process is compliant with SAPA requirements. Monitor regulatory developments and assist in addressing stakeholder’s issues and concerns;
• Research and advise on matters related to agency compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements affecting programs related to the delivery of services for individuals with developmental disabilities;
• Research and advise on matters related to statutory and regulatory requirements affecting agency support operations such as internal controls; internal policies and ethics;
• Assist in review of requests under the Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) and Personal Privacy Protection Law;
• Review of various kinds of documents to ensure agency compliance with applicable requirements pursuant to Federal and State statutes, including but not limited to the Mental Hygiene Law;
• Research and advise on issues related to administrative proceedings, review hearing records, and draft proposed decisions;
• Support the development of OPWDD’s annual legislative program; draft and review proposed legislation, assess other State agency proposals, and assist in drafting Article VII budget proposals. Monitor legislative developments and assist in formulating efforts to address stakeholder’s issues and concerns;
• Assist in the review of administrative hearing decisions and adjudicative functions;
• Assist in the development of internal policy; procedures and agency policy manual;
• Research and advise on matters related to the delivery of services for individuals with developmental disabilities;
• Research and advise on matters related to agency support operations such as internal controls and policies, HIPAA, Office of Counsel records management, and ethics.
Additional Comments Please note:
• Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by closures. If you are being impacted by closure, please indicate this on your resume/cover letter.
• In order to be eligible for appointment and to maintain employment, you cannot be listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of the Federal and/or State Medicaid and Medicare exclusion lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program). If you are appointed and subsequently listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of these lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program), you may be terminated from your employment.
• OPWDD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
44 Holland Avenue