Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Education Finance Specialist 2.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Education Finance Specialist 2 Civil Service eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate Accountant, Associate Accountant (State Accounts and Systems), Associate Auditor, Associate Internal Auditor, Contract Management Specialist 2, Management Specialist 2, or Program Research Specialist 3 (Economics Finance).
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a non-permanent provisional appointment may be considered. For non-permanent, provisional appointments, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Education Finance Specialist 1, Senior Accountant or Senior Budgeting Analyst. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Education Finance Specialist 2 when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department is seeking candidates for an Education Finance Specialist 2 position in the System to Track and Account for Children (STAC) and Medicaid Unit. The STAC/Medicaid Unit is responsible for processing school age and preschool requests for Commissioner’s approval for reimbursement supporting approximately $2.5 billion in State funds distributed annually to school districts and counties in support of special education programs and other programs serving New York State. This Unit also assists school districts and counties in accessing federal (Medicaid) funding. Under the direction of the Unit Director, the incumbent of this position will be responsible for providing support and training to local education agencies on various reimbursement programs. Strong computer, analytical, reporting and management skills are required to succeed in this position. Other duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Develop, maintain and enhance the STAC reimbursement approval processing system (EFRT) to allow use by internal and external users;
• Collaborate with Information Technology Services staff to design and implement the edits and screens necessary to provide accuracy and accountability in the reimbursement processes;
• Coordinate the annual processing of approximately 270,000 requests for reimbursement approval and claims for school age and preschool placements;
• Respond to requests for technical assistance and resolution of policy issues from school district and municipality officials;
• Prepare reports and provide data as requested, using a variety of software, to school districts, municipalities, state agencies, and various offices of the State Education Department, including the Bureau of Budget Coordination, Fiscal Management, State Aid, Office of Counsel, and Rate Setting;
• Monitor, review and analyze data, and prepare detailed analyses on fiscal impacts and implications for discussions with Unit Director;
• Develop, schedule and conduct technical training sessions at regional meetings and conferences for school district and municipality representatives regarding various components of the STAC and Medicaid programs;
• Assist in the development and implementation of policies and procedures that improve customer service, efficiency and enhance reimbursement processing to ensure payments are timely and accurate;
• Oversee development and maintenance of content for the STAC website; and
• Supervise professional and support staff, as assigned.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a contingent permanent or non-permanent provisional appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Occasional overnight travel may be required.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $92,693 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 19, 2018 to email@example.com (email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (CFO-366/04108) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 19, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (CFO-366/04108) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.