Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent non-competitive or 55b/c service as an Investigative Specialist 1.
Non-Competitive Appointment: Candidates must have six years of experience in a field investigative position, which must include: conducting interviews of witnesses and others, taking written statements and affidavits; collecting and analyzing physical and documentary evidence; and preparing detailed written reports of investigative findings.
Substitutions: An associate's degree in criminal justice or related field may substitute for two years of qualifying experience. A bachelor’s degree in criminal justice or a related field may substitute for four years of qualifying experience. Related fields include: law enforcement, police science, criminal justice administration, criminology, criminal investigation, police studies, public justice, forensic accounting, forensic pathology, forensic science, and economic crime management.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s (SED) Office of Adult Career and Continuing Education (ACCES) is seeking candidates for an Investigative Specialist 1 position in the Bureau of Proprietary School Supervision (BPSS). This Bureau is responsible for protecting the educational and financial interests of students. BPSS supervises approximately 500 licensed private career schools, and post-secondary non-degree schools for adults. The incumbent of this position will conduct investigations of these schools for compliance with Education Law and the Commissioners Regulations, as well as conduct investigations of student complaints. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Mediate student complaints between the school and complainant;
• Interview students, directors, and school personnel;
• Prepare detailed investigative reports of the activities undertaken pursuant to investigative assignments;
• Conduct covert inspections of licensed and unlicensed schools;
• Supervise and train operatives;
• Testify in administrative hearings;
• Conduct educational, tuition, fiscal, and placement audits of schools;
• Process payment claims for the tuition reimbursement account (TRA);
• Respond to tuition audits of the TRA by the Office of the State Comptroller, on behalf of the Commissioner;
• Prepare report findings and make recommendations for corrective actions and the improvement of schools and programs;
• Coordinate and participate in the procedures for school closings, to include advising students of their rights under Education Law and ensuring that staff licenses and students records are returned to SED;
• Provide administrative and program support to units within SED regarding educational programs and administrative policy;
• Arrange and conduct meetings and workshops for SED; and
• Act as a liaison and represent SED at meetings with other educational entities.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a contingent permanent, non-competitive appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. This position will require regular statewide travel.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $71,980 based on annual performance advances.
** This salary includes a $3,026 annual Downstate adjustment.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 27, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (ACS-2078) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 27, 2018 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (ACS-2078) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
(email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-1836) of the position in the subject line of your email and/or cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.