Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications You must hold or have held the title of Secretary 1 or be reachable on the full-time NYS Civil Service list.
Employees in specific salary grade 9 titles may be eligible to apply via a 70.1 transfer as well (2 salary grade jump). Requirements of 70.1: must be in your current title for at least 1 year, must be in an eligible title to transfer from. Contact Sarah at 607 753 2302 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Duties Description Summary:
Provides clerical and administrative support to Recreation, Parks and Leisure Studies Department faculty and students.
1. Provide clerical and administrative support to Department Chair and faculty:
• Responsible for coordination and flow of information; general correspondence, forms, inter-department communications, etc. Mail pick-up/distribution.
• Assist Department Chair with administrative tasks, scheduling, faculty searches, awards banquets, Honors Convocation, etc.
• Provide administrative assistance to individual faculty members to include typing letters, class materials, assistance with travel forms, etc.
• Assist with CTE orders. Distribute to faculty for completion by students. Upon return, type student comments for each class and distribute results to faculty and chair.
• Assist Department Chair with faculty searches which includes lodging, travel arrangements, on-campus interviews, itineraries, and meal arrangements. Assist with travel reimbursement.
• Prepare new faculty offices. Order computers, phones, keys, nameplates, and special equipment as needed.
• Compile faculty class schedules/office hours each semester.
• Cancel classes as needed.
• Complete and submit to Dean appointment forms each year/semester for adjunct faculty.
• Order and maintain sufficient stock of office supplies using Central Stores. Order additional office supplies and equipment through Red Dragon Depot and other venues. Maintain stock of office forms, information sheets, etc.
• P-card ordering, administration, and reconciliation for secretary and chair. Monitor department expenditures; provide end-of-year report on expenses to chair.
• Assist faculty with copier, scanning, faxing operations. Submit work orders and key requests as needed.
• Provide information and assistance to faculty, including computer technology assistance, registration and advisement assistance, dates and deadlines reminders via e-mail (grade submission, exam requests, CTE processing, etc.). Monitor via grade tracking timeliness of grade submissions. Secure campus space via EMS.
• Assist chair with Course Creator. Meet with school secretaries to select rooms for upcoming semester.
• Provide personnel ballots and instructions for voting. Compile results for Department Chair and committees.
• Supervise work-study students. Review and approve time records via TIA system for work-study. Serve as proxy to approve time records for faculty.
• Work closely with Internship Coordinator to create internship placement lists, make folders, provide information to Field Studies Office and agency supervisors.
• Receptionist duties: answer office phone and monitor department e-mail inquiries. Take messages as necessary. Greet, assist, and direct visitors as appropriate.
• Post announcement for group advertisement.
• Use Communicate to send fliers, miscellaneous information to majors throughout the academic year.
• Use room reservation system to reserve meeting rooms, classrooms for review sessions, make-up exams. etc. as needed.
• Assist with student club, SCRA, with miscellaneous tasks including annual recreation banquet. Sent VIP invites, sell tickets, etc.
• Assist with students planning annual Cortland Recreation Conference. Proofread, assist with mailings, and provide general support.
• Compile job openings for bulletin boards and send to Career Services Office and others of interest.
• Send letters to students who are below 2.5 GPA. Also send letters to students who are on Dean’s List and President’s List.
• Request funding from Metcalf Endowment Fund as needed.
3. Student Administrative Support
• Assign advisors to new students. Request or send student files for change of majors to/from other departments.
• Track faculty advisee workloads for even distribution.
• Main departmental files for active/inactive undergraduate students, graduate students, personnel, and miscellaneous.
• Receive graduate student applications. Input student information into departmental data chart, begin file and pass on to graduate coordinator.
• Receive degree conferrals from Registrar’s Office. Forward to appropriate advisors. Collect and forward to Associate Dean.
• Provide assistance to students during registration and drop/add with Banner overrides.
• Process student request forms such as course withdrawals, change of major, First Aid requirements, etc. as needed.
• For Rho Phi Lambda National Honorary, identify qualified students, send invitations, and send congratulatory letters. Order certificates, pins, and cards. Prepare for annual banquet. For Outstanding Senior Award, compile qualified students, send and retrieve ballots, count ballots, and determine awardee.
• Order award plaques and plates. Prepare scripts for annual recreation banquets.
4. Data Collection and Computer Skills
• Proficient in use of Word and Excel
• Use of Banner: run reports as needed by faculty/chair, assign advisors, input overrides, etc.
• Reconcile P-Card expenditures for self and chair. Monitor department budget via online processes.
• Use of Communicate and Room Reservation System.
• Compile data for annual report as requested.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.