Minimum Qualifications Interested candidates must be reachable on the appropriate Civil Service eligible list or currently an employee of New York State eligible to transfer under Section 70.1 or 70.4 of the Civil Service Law.
Transfer via 70.1
To be eligible for a 70.1 transfer to a Sr. Accountant, SG-18, a candidate must:
Have one year of permanent, competitive service in a qualifying title, a bachelor’s degree and 24 credit hours in accounting/auditing courses.
To be eligible for a 70.1 transfer to an Accountant Trainee, a candidate must:
Have one year of permanent, competitive service in a qualifying title, a bachelor’s degree including 24 credit hours in accounting and/or auditing courses.
Transfer via 70.4
To be eligible for a 70.4 transfer to an Accountant Trainee, a candidate must:
Have one year of permanent, competitive service in a position allocated to a grade 12 or higher, a bachelor’s degree including 24 credit hours in accounting and/or auditing courses, and Meet the open competitive minimum qualifications of the position, and Have passed the Professional Positions in Accounting and Auditing examination or Professional Career Opportunities .
To be eligible for a 70.4 transfer to the Sr. Accountant, SG-18, a candidate must:
Have one year of permanent, competitive service in a position allocated to a grade 16 or higher and
Meet the open competitive minimum qualifications of the position, and
must be reachable on the appropriate Civil Service eligible list.
To be eligible to transfer from an Accountant Aide to an Accountant Trainee 1, the candidate must:
Have one year of permanent competitive service as an Accountant Aide, and 24 credit hours in accounting/auditing.
To see if your title is eligible to transfer, please go to the GOT-IT website www.careermobilityoffice.cs.state.ny.us.
When determining eligibility for transfer, the Office of Human Resources will confirm trainee level. Depending on qualifications, candidates may be required to serve a 2-year traineeship that leads to the journey level, grade 18 position.
Duties Description Financial Reporting:
Within the Bureau of Financial Reporting and Oil Spill Remediation, financial reports are produced on both a Cash-basis and a GAAP-basis. The Cash-basis financial reports are produced on a monthly and annual basis. The GAAP-basis financial reports are produced on a quarterly and annual basis. The Bureau is also responsible for various other reports including the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, Financial Condition Report, and the Schedule of Expenditures of Federal Awards.
• The Senior Accountant, under the general direction of unit management, may be assigned various reporting duties. These duties may include:
• Preparing financial statements for the Comptroller’s Cash Basis Report and the GAAP Basis Basic Financial Statements as required by law (monthly, quarterly and annually) in compliance with accounting standards and/or standards issued by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB). This includes preparing work papers, schedules and responses that will be used by the Bureau, OSC staff, other agencies and external auditors as support.
• Assist in completing other required reports prepared by the Bureau.
• Flux analysis.
• Detailed fund reviews.
• Reviewing and interpreting legislation.
• Annual updating of the Fund Classification Manual to reflect changes that need to be made pursuant to enacted budget and/or statutory changes.
• Assisting supervisors in the various tasks to ensure that all work assignments are completed on an accurate and timely basis, including answering questions and following up on financial statement issues.
• Communicating and collecting information among staff within the Bureau, in OSC, and other State agencies and entities. When necessary, assisting State agencies in their efforts to comply with required reporting.
• Independently performing duties associated with the preparation of the financial statements using Excel, SFS, nVision and Hyperion.
• Documenting and updating of Bureau procedures.
• Maintaining a professional, cooperative demeanor and attitude.
Reconciliation and Support:
The Bureau is responsible for performing various system reconciliations so that the data used for analysis and reporting can be relied upon. The Bureau also is called upon to provide financial information or support to other entities (i.e. other OSC staff, State agencies, DOB, etc).
• The Senior Accountant, under the general direction of unit management, may be assigned various reconciliation duties.
• Preparing and completing schedules that support various reconciliation of the ledgers, submodules, bank accounts and transactions as well as other maintenance within the Statewide Financial System (SFS). This may require creating correction transactions identified during the reconciliation process and maintaining adequate supporting evidence for the transactions. Communicating reconciliation results to relevant parties, tracking corrections, and informing the Bureau of the status of the reconciling items so that the impact on reporting can be determined.
• Preparing and completing workpapers that support various payroll reconciliation tasks.
• Participating in Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) requests.
• Participating in fiscal research and special projects within the Bureau.
Additional Comments EDUCATION:
• Bachelor degree in Accounting or higher
• Experience with large accounting systems
• Accounting experience in performing system reconciliation
• Ability to meet deadlines
• Ability to work independently
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Proficient in MicroSoft Excel and Word, or similar applications.
• Governmental accounting and financial reporting knowledge preferred.
• Self-motivated and willing to take on special assignments.
• Able to handle multiple priorities.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingInterested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than September 27, 2018. Please reference Item#02723– GOER-JDC
When responding, please include the reference number and letters listed in this section. The VACANCY ID # should not be included.