Minimum Qualifications • Bachelor’s degree in any relevant field required but degree in computer science , information technology or data security or advanced degree preferred;
• Candidates with experience in any of the following areas preferred:
o Programming and web development tools, including JAVA, Python, PHP, SQL and Ruby;
o Online privacy and data security; and
o Linux command line tools and container technology (e.g. Docker);
• Excellent oral and written communication skills;
• Highly organized, self-directed, and resourceful;
• Personable and positive, with a high level of integrity; and
• Interest in public policy and social/economic justice.
Duties Description Goal
The New York State Office of the Attorney General (OAG) is seeking a candidate for a full-time Internet and Technology Analyst position in New York City. In this role, the candidate would provide technical expertise to assist the Bureau of Internet and Technology (BIT) and Research and Analytics Department in investigating and prosecuting high-profile data security, privacy, and online consumer protection matters; identifying areas of particular concern for data privacy and security; building out investigatory tools to test the robustness of data security systems; and helping guide the Office’s policy decisions relating to the Internet and technology.
Typical investigative work can include: helping determine whether an organization failed to safeguard its customers’ sensitive information by analyzing data breach forensic reports, logs, and security policies; identifying improper and illegal data collection by capturing and inspecting app traffic; and evaluating potentially misleading and deceptive business practices by reviewing technical documents and source code to figure out how third-party software and systems work.
Engineering skillset required. Experienced and entry-level applicants are encouraged to apply. We are seeking to fill this position immediately.
Employing over 1,700 people across New York State, the OAG is headed by the Attorney General, the “People’s Lawyer” and the State's chief legal officer. The Research and Analytics Department researches and writes analytical reports garnering national attention, directs multi-million dollar grant programs, and supports the office’s major investigations. See, for example, Secure our Smartphones. BIT’s recent work includes investigations into the Equifax and Uber data breaches, investigations into illegal data collection on some of the country’s most popular websites for kids, and litigation against the largest ISP in New York State.
• Advise on leading concerns for information security and privacy investigations;
• Identify high risk targets for potential data security failures and concerns;
• Examining source codes of websites and applications in multiple environments (including phones and tablets) to identify potential vulnerabilities and security flaws;
• Provide risk assessments, remediation options, and identify best practices in compliance;
• Provide technical leadership on a wide range of data security and privacy initiatives;
• Review data breach notifications;
• Advising the Bureau on a wide range of internet and technology issues, e.g., privacy, computer security, and encryption standards;
• Serving as an area expert and in-house technologist as needed and appropriate;
• Compiling, summarizing, and succinctly presenting research on relevant entities and issues;
• Obtaining, analyzing and explaining large datasets related to investigations;
• Litigation support including drafting affidavits and letters; and
• Performing other duties as required.
Additional Comments Salary to be determined commensurate with experience.
Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. The Office is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to workplace diversity.
PLEASE NOTE: Unless otherwise specified in the “Notes on Applying” section, the “Application Due” date associated with this posting is not the last day applications can be submitted. Applications for this position will be accepted by the hiring bureau on a rolling basis until a candidate is selected; recruitment for this position can be closed or suspended at any time. For the most current information on available position vacancies, applicants are advised to review the Office of the New York State Attorney General website (www.ag.ny.gov/job-postings) or contact the Legal Recruitment Bureau via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 212-416-8080.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Legal Recruitment Bureau - 28 Liberty St.
Notes on ApplyingHOW TO APPLY
Applications are being received online. To apply, please visit our website at http://www.ag.ny.gov/job-postings. Reference No. EXEC/RD_ITA _ NYC_6081
Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
• Cover Letter (You may address to Sandra Jefferson Grannum, Esq., Bureau Chief, Legal Recruitment)
• List of three (3) references with contact information and email addresses
• Writing Sample
• Transcript (if less than five years postgraduate)
Please note: Failure to submit a complete application will delay the consideration of your application.
If you have questions about a position with the OAG, the application process or assistance with submitting your application, please contact the Legal Recruitment Bureau via email at email@example.com or phone at 212-416-8080.
For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: www.ag.ny.gov.