Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
600 East 125th Street
Minimum Qualifications Candidates must be reachable for appointment from one of the appropriate Civil Service eligible lists for this title;
Transfer Opportunity - Candidates must have one year of permanent service as a Security Hospital Treatment Assistant or in a title deemed appropriate for transfer via Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law within two salary grades of the Grade 14 level;
Physical/Medical Requirements: Your physical and medical condition will be evaluated to ensure that you are able to satisfactorily perform the essential duties of the position to which you are seeking appointment with or without reasonable accommodation. The medical examination will be required upon a conditional offer of appointment. The physical/medical standards include a physical fitness test, a medical standards evaluation, and a substance abuse screening. To obtain a complete statement of the physical and medical standards, and/or Requirements for the Qualifying Physical Fitness Test visit http://www.cs.ny.gov/ehs/forms.cfm. A medical examination will be required prior to appointment, and you are responsible for payment of the clinical laboratory test fee. Appointees to this position may be required to undergo periodic medical examinations to reassess their ability to perform the essential duties of the position.
Drug Testing: Prior to appointment, you will have to participate in a drug screening. Failure to meet the standards may result in your disqualification.
Medicaid and Medicare: In order to be eligible for appointment and to maintain employment, you cannot be listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of the Federal and/or State Medicaid and Medicare exclusion lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program). If you are appointed and subsequently listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of these lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program), you may be terminated from your employment.
Duties Description As a Security Hospital Treatment Assistant, you would serve as the primary caregiver to patients with mental illness in a secure forensic unit or hospital; assist and/or instruct patients in attending to personal hygiene tasks and activities of daily living; teach, model, and promote acceptable behaviors and verbal skills, and implement treatment goals through positive interactions with patients; participate in therapeutic activity groups; escort patients to appointments; provide 1:1 patient supervision; complete and maintain required records; respond to emergency and crisis situations; use verbal de-escalation techniques; and use approved physical interventions as a last resort to ensure the safety and security of patients, employees, and others.
Additional Comments Background Investigation/Justice Center Review: Prospective appointees will be:
1) Checked against the Staff Exclusion List (SEL) maintained by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs. Prospective employees whose names appear on the SEL as having been found responsible for serious or repeated acts of abuse or neglect will be barred from appointment and may have their names removed from the eligible list(s) for the title(s) if applicable.
2) Investigated through a Criminal Background Check (CBC), which includes State and federal Criminal History Record Checks. All convictions must be reported; conviction of a felony or misdemeanor, or any falsified or omitted information on the prospective appointee’s employment application, may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment. Each case will be determined on its own merits, consistent with the applicable provisions of State and federal laws, rules, and regulations. Prospective employees will be fingerprinted in order to obtain a record of their criminal history information, and may be required to pay any necessary fees.
3) Screened against the Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment (SCR). Prospective employees may be required to pay any necessary fees. Additionally, prospective employees whose names are indicated on the SCR may be barred from appointment.
There are nine (9) positions available.
Additional monies are paid for:
• Pre-shift briefings
• $750 facility security pay
• Inconvenience pay
• Downstate Adjustment $1,722
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
600 East 125th Street
Notes on ApplyingPlease indicate the Title, Vacancy ID # and Location of the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email or fax. Please complete the Office of Mental Health Employment Application and submit it along with your other application materials via fax, mail or the Human Resources email address noted above.