Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Minimum Qualifications
• High school diploma plus five years relevant experience.
• Associate’s degree field plus three years relevant experience.
• Bachelor’s degree.
Associate’s degree in Business, Paralegal Studies, Executive Secretarial Sciences or a related field plus three years relevant experience. Knowledge of computer applications/databases such as Lexis/Nexis, Westlaw, PACER and LBDC. Legal office management skills and/or experience as an executive legal assistant.
• Demonstrated judgment and discretion in matters of confidentiality.
• Good oral and written communications skills.
• Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to prioritize.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and exercise sound judgment.
• Proficiency in PC applications such as Outlook, Excel, Access, Word and PowerPoint.
Duties Description Primary Purpose
The Confidential Legal Assistant provides support to Counsel by performing legal, paralegal, administrative and clerical tasks, including those related to confidential and sensitive matters.
• Perform basic legal research and investigation and provide administrative support on a wide variety of legal matters relating to DASNY construction projects, integrity, internal affairs and compliance, risk management, Freedom of Information Law matters, personnel and disciplinary matters, Human Resources management, labor relations, the collective bargaining process, DASNY’s Board of Directors, the NYS Joint Commission on Public Ethics and various other policy matters relating to DASNY and the operations of the Office of Counsel and DASNY.
• Draft letters and research and draft responses to routine, confidential and other correspondence as requested by attorneys.
• Coordinate with staff and outside counsel to obtain necessary papers for filing, arrange for and notify parties involved in depositions, research files for information and maintain summary sheets for pending litigation.
• Assist attorneys in responding to subpoenas and other disclosure requests, including the gathering and duplication of relevant electronic and paper files from other divisions of DASNY, reviewing all relevant electronic and paper files to identify responsive items and maintaining records of all responsive items to be provided to party making the demands.
• Assist attorneys and other staff in all phases of litigation including providing administrative support throughout the litigation process
• Assist attorneys in drafting, editing and reviewing both general and complex documents for litigation and other matters, including responding to and filing routine court documents such as answers to complaints
• Manage Uniform Commercial Code initial filing process and ensure that continuations are filed with the Secretary of State and the County Clerk’s Offices.
• Assist General Counsel in his/her capacity as Assistant Secretary to the Board of Directors.
• Review contracts and supporting documents to ensure that they are prepared consistently within the parameters established, are in proper legal form, and have all necessary approvals and supporting documentation.
• Act as a confidential administrative liaison between Counsel’s Office and other Divisions within DASNY as well as other external entities, including State agencies.
• Monitor and update the master list of employees required to file Annual Financial Disclosure forms with the NYS Joint Commission on Public Ethics and assist employees with electronic filing of those forms.
• Assist attorneys in developing systems and procedures for tracking, controlling and managing case files and exhibits and maintaining databases necessary to assist Counsel’s Office and DASNY in the exercise of their functions.
• Monitor grants on a routine basis, including the maintenance of records, databases, spreadsheets and other internal/external reports; confer with attorneys to assure proper completion of requirements and/or completion of documentation; identify and describe potential problems or delays encountered and relay any relevant information to attorneys.
• Assist in the development of processes and procedures necessary to properly implement the various Grant Programs administered by DASNY and make recommendations for changes thereto as necessary.
• Perform preliminary legal review of lien documents and docket liens, all under the direction of an attorney; screen and route telephone calls and correspondence related to liens; organize and maintain lien files; coordinate with other Divisions of DASNY with respect to lien matters, including the retrieval of information; draft standard correspondence related to liens.
• Coordinate required hearings pursuant to the Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act of 1982 (TEFRA) regarding the issuance of certain bonds of DASNY, including gathering newspaper publications of notices of hearings and preparing materials for approval by the Governor of all such bond issues.
• Coordinate with DASNY’s Insurance Department regarding claims and litigation involving DASNY’s insurance and self-insurance programs.
• Maintain database of outside counsel billings, review bills for mathematical accuracy and adherence to rates or fee schedules set forth in the retainer letters.
• Assist independent auditors on annual request letter to all attorneys representing DASNY.
• Process requests for replacement or payment of lost bonds and coupons without presentation of lost securities pursuant to the terms of the applicable bond resolutions, including corresponding directly with the Trustee to obtain proper documentation and drafting approval letters.
• Assist with DASNY's Tax Exempt Leasing Program (TELP), including the monitoring of compliance with applicable programmatic requirements, preparation of TEFRA notices and submissions and PACB resolutions; drafting of correspondence; document review and attendance at meetings and conference calls and the relay of relevant information to attorneys, as well as coordinating with other Divisions of DASNY.
• Assist with the creation and distribution of financing documents.
• Prepare and file DASNY's registration and bi-monthly reports with New York State Lobbying Commission and coordinate the gathering of information related thereto.
• Coordinate DASNY’s legislative program by reviewing daily legislative actions and preparing reports regarding various bills of interest to DASNY.
• Note changes in rules and regulations in the State Register pertaining to DASNY.
• Interact with prospective or current grant recipients regarding the grant award and disbursement process.
• Assist attorneys in compiling reports based on information obtained from both internal and external databases.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
• Participate in the development, testing and implementation of the Division’s systems applications.
• Coordinate meetings, schedules and travel arrangements.
• Perform LEXIS/NEXIS, Westlaw searches
• Maintain legal library and all other legal files to assure safekeeping and accessibility.
• Answer phones, provide routine factual information to callers, route calls or take messages as directed.
• Provide support to other staff and units as needed.
• Assist with the documentation and implementation of procedures.
• Assist with internal controls implementation, review and testing.
• Undertake special assignments as directed.
• Must maintain regular attendance in accordance with DASNY attendance and leave policies.
• Must adhere to the NYS Information Security Policy Standards established and issued by the Office of Cyber Security and Critical Infrastructure Coordination. (Standards can be found on the Intranet).
Additional Comments Supervision
Occasional travel may be required using public transportation, DASNY vehicle, rental vehicle or personal vehicle. This travel may include overnight stays at public accommodations and related establishments. Requires time pressure decision-making. Must be able to work overtime or extended work hours as needed.
Standard office environment, including the use of one or more of the following: PC, telephone, fax machine, printer, copier, electronic stapler/hole punch/date stamp, shredder.
DASNY is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer committed to excellence and diversity.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingQualified candidates, please copy and paste the following in your browser to apply electronically: