Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Transfer Qualifications: Any Current Senior Recreation Therapist
Anyone eligible for a 70.1 transfer.
Promotional Opportunities: Anyone currently reachable on the Civil Service list.
Provisional Appointment: In the event that there is not a valid eligible list, candidates who
meet the qualifications below may be qualified for a provisional
Minimum Qualifications: You must be a qualified employee of New York State and have had three months of permanent competitive or 55-b/55-c service as follows:
as a Recreation Therapist, Recreation Therapist (Spanish Language), Recreation Therapist (Art), Recreation Therapist (Dance), or Recreation Therapist (Music).
For all other qualified individuals, candidates must have: Either. a master's degree in therapeutic recreation, creative arts therapy, art therapy, dance therapy, music therapy, or drama therapy;
Or. a bachelor's degree in therapeutic recreation, creative arts therapy, art therapy, dance therapy, music therapy, or drama therapy, AND one year of post-degree professional experience in planning and administering a therapeutic program which involved developing and coordinating therapeutic activities for geriatric patients/residents, individuals with developmental disabilities, individuals with psychiatric disabilities, individuals who are physically challenged, or individuals in treatment for alcoholism and substance abuse;
Or. a bachelor's degree in recreation, physical education, adaptive physical education, art, dance, music, drama, recreation education with a concentration in therapeutic recreation, or recreation and leisure studies with a concentration in therapeutic recreation AND two years of post-degree professional experience as described above;*
Or. have one year of post-degree professional experience as described above AND be one of the following:
1. Certified as a Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS) by the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC).
2. Registered with the American Art Therapy Association as an Art Therapist.
3. Registered with the American Dance Therapy Association as a Dance Therapist.
4. Certified by the American Music Therapy Association as a Music Therapist.
5. Registered by the National Association for Drama Therapy as a Registered Drama Therapist.
Duties Description PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of the Treatment Team Leader, the incumbent will be responsible for:
• Providing recreation and leisure activities, as well as direct treatment services.
• The Sr. Recreation Therapist will coordinate and facilitate participation in a variety of recreation activities.
• The incumbent will be a consultant in their specialty for treatment programming and evaluation.
• Will train and supervise subordinate professional and paraprofessional staff in recreational and inclusionary activities.
• The Sr. Recreation Therapist will be required to develop and coordinate inclusion opportunities for individuals and coordinate and oversee documentation of the inclusion activities for all individuals in the unit as per ICF regulations.
• In accordance with Active Treatment plans and people's interests and needs, the therapist conducts activities, reviews and evaluates program effectiveness and recommends changes or specialized activities as required.
• Oversees direct care staff in providing recreational opportunities by providing training on various techniques and valued outcomes of recreation programs and by direct participation in service delivery.
• Prepares annual assessments, interest surveys, and reviews paperwork. Attend and participate in annual and quarterly reviews and special meetings as full member of interdisciplinary team.
• Seek and explore new activities and events in the community to provide inclusion. Maintain existing connections and consistently seek new connections networking in the local communities.
• Complete recreation assessments as required per ICF regulations.
• Develop weekly recreation schedules.
• Schedules and Participates in community inclusion activities.
• Other Duties as assigned.
Additional Comments APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Submit cover letter and résumé by October 17, 2018 to:
2445 State Route 30
Tupper Lake, NY 12986
Phone: (518) 359-4150
Fax: (518) 359-4161
Please reference the above EOA # 18-136 in all correspondence.
• For CSEA positions: Local Bidding Agreements will be honored.
• Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by closures. If you are being impacted by closure, please indicate this on your resume/cover letter.
• All OPWDD employees must be eligible and maintain eligibility for full and unconditional participation in the Medicare and Medicaid programs. Continued employment will depend on maintaining eligibility.
• OPWDD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
• Position may be eligible for Loan Forgiveness via the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program:
• For more information on PSLF, please visit www.studentAid.gov/publicservice
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.