Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
W. A. Harriman State Office Building Campus, Bldg. 5
Minimum Qualifications Candidates must be reachable on the Business Systems Analyst 2, G-23, Civil Service eligible list OR have one year of permanent competitive service as a Business Systems Analyst 2, G-23. Also open to NYS employees at or above G-21 who are eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. The transfer cannot be a second consecutive transfer resulting in an advancement of more than two grade levels. In order to qualify for Section 52.6 transfer, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service in an administrative title as defined by Section 52.6. Examples of qualifying Section 52.6 titles include Project Manager 1, G-23; Associate Administrative Analyst, G-23; and Information Technology Specialist 3, G-23.
Required Skills and Abilities:
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong interest and ability to learn independently and to teach others.
• Ability to work well in a team environment.
• Strong knowledge of business analysis techniques and tools.
• Strong troubleshooting, problem solving and organizational skills.
• Ability to manage multiple priorities.
• Ability to effectively conduct interviews and manage meetings.
• Practical experience with the Systems Development Life Cycle throughout all phases of solution delivery.
• Experience using recognized business analysis methodologies such as business process flows, fit-gap analysis and functional designs.
• Experience working with an enterprise system such as PeopleSoft.
• Experience using the Statewide Financial System (SFS) or another PeopleSoft implementation.
• Experience with New York State Financial Operations.
• Knowledge of General/Government Accounting Principles.
• Experience applying Business Analysis techniques in a complex application environment.
• Experience working with SQL and relational databases.
• Knowledge of project management techniques.
• Experience writing test scenarios and test scripts.
Duties Description The Solution Services Division at SFS is responsible for developing solutions to application and business process problems where the system does not meet the business needs of our customers. The Division supports the design, development, and testing of solutions requiring new system functionality, changes to current applications, or changes to the business processes supported by SFS, an Enterprise Resource Planning application built on Oracle’s PeopleSoft platform.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Participate in business analysis activities supporting the system development efforts of SFS.
- Responsible for eliciting requirements, developing functional solutions, and testing system functionality and business processes.
- Analyze and document existing and future state business processes.
- Engage in business transformation activities facilitating the user’s ability to transition to new business processes.
- Assist in analyzing the impact of proposed changes and upgrades to the SFS environment and/or other agency applications.
- Assist in the review of PeopleSoft configurations to ensure it incorporates user requirements and needs are met.
- Collaborate with other project team units to ensure that the SFS system environment supports project goals and objectives.
- Develop test scripts/scenarios, execute testing, and analyze results.
- Develop procedure manuals and technical documentation for support staff and end users.
- The incumbent may be a first level supervisor over other functional application analysts.
Additional Comments You are advised that, should you accept a job offer with SFS,
you may be required to be fingerprinted.
SFS is the organization that manages the enterprise financial
system that supports the business of New York State
government. SFS is an independent entity jointly governed by
the Office of the State Comptroller and the Division of the
As one of the largest public sector enterprise financial systems
in the United States, SFS processes an average of 22,000
voucher transactions daily and about $150 billion in payments
per year using Oracle PeopleSoft technology. SFS staff provides
extensive operational support to over 70 NYS agencies and
authorities. SFS continues to work on major initiatives to expand
the use of system functionality and works collaboratively with
agencies and the NYS Office of Information Technology Services
clusters that support IT systems across the State.
Currently, we are looking for motivated, highly qualified
professionals who can lead and support ongoing
transformational statewide information technology projects.
Working as part of the team at SFS provides a great opportunity
to be part of a mission driven organization that strongly
supports its employees’ professional growth and development
through training opportunities and knowledge sharing. You
would also be able to see your work directly support the
transformation of business processes supporting NYS
More About SFS
We are an innovative team of experts specializing in enterprise
resource planning, financial operations, business analysis,
information technology, project management, service delivery,
training, change management and stakeholder relations. Since
our inception, our focus has been to meet our customers’
financial processing needs, ensure the integrity of State financial
data and lead future migrations from existing agency financial
systems into one integrated financial management system.
To learn more about SFS, visit our website at www.sfs.ny.gov.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo apply, please send a cover letter and resume by e-mail, fax, or post office mail. Please include your current Civil Service title and grade and be sure to indicate that you are applying for the position of Business Systems Analyst 2, Ref. #18-23.