Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Psychologist 1
Candidates must be reachable for appointment from the current Civil Service eligible list;
OR for Transfer Opportunity:
Candidates must have one year of permanent service as a Psychologist 1 and be eligible for lateral transfer; OR be in a title deemed appropriate for transfer via Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law;
In the event that there is not a valid eligible list, candidates who meet the following promotion or open competitive qualifications may be qualified for a provisional appointment:
Note: If you are appointed provisionally, you must have taken the Psychologist 1 test that was given on January 20, 2018 and your score must be reachable on the resulting eligible list before you can be permanently appointed. If you do not pass the examination or achieve a reachable score, you may not be retained.
? Candidates must have one year of permanent service as a Psychology Assistant 3.
? Candidates must have a master of psychology degree from a regionally accredited college or university psychology degree program which prepares graduates for clinical positions in the field of psychology in a clinical, forensic, community mental health, or school setting. Qualifying degree programs must have included coursework in psychological and behavioral assessment, and treatment modalities for psychological and behavioral disorders; AND you must also have two years of supervised post master's degree experience in a clinical, forensic, community mental health, or school setting, where your primary duties were providing psychological services as described below.*
*Qualifying experience for Psychologist 1 is considered to be direct experience with individuals, families, or groups in a hospital, psychiatric hospital, psychiatric clinic, community mental health clinic, correctional facility, intermediate care facility, institutional or school setting, or community based residential and/or day program, under the supervision of a doctoral level psychologist, licensed psychologist, licensed physician, licensed psychiatrist, psychiatric nurse practitioner, or licensed clinical social worker (or in the case of school psychologists with permanent certification from the New York State Education Department, working under the supervision of a school principal or similar administrator).
Primary duties must have included activities such as administering assessments and tests for diagnostic psychological evaluations or completing functional behavior assessments; developing behavior support plans or writing psychological treatment plans; and/or providing psychological counseling and treatment in one or more of the following areas: mental and/or emotional disorders, cognitive disorders, behavioral disorders, intellectual disabilities, developmental disabilities, alcoholism, addictions, substance abuse disorders, sex offender assessment and treatment, or forensic mental health.
Non-qualifying experience include but are not limited to, experience in experimental psychology, research psychology, industrial psychology, organizational psychology, health psychology, utilization review, guidance counseling, pastoral counseling, or as a habilitation specialist or instructor of psychology.
Qualifying degree programs/majors include, but are not limited to the following: clinical psychology, clinical forensic psychology, community psychology, counseling psychology, school psychology, and child psychology.
Non-qualifying master’s and doctoral degrees include, but are not limited to the following: education, counseling, clinical counseling, clinical hypnosis, community counseling, educational counseling, forensic counseling, guidance counseling, human relations, marriage and family counseling, professional counseling, rehabilitative counseling, school counseling, student and personnel services, mental health counseling, psychological counseling, pastoral psychology, transpersonal psychology, neuroscience, experimental psychology, industrial psychology, and organizational psychology.
• A doctoral degree in a clinical field of psychology may be substituted for both the education and experience requirements above.
• A clinical psychology practicum, externship, or fieldwork assignment, that was completed as part of a qualifying master of psychology degree program, may be substituted for one year of the required experience.**
• A certificate of advanced study in a clinical field of psychology or school psychology may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
? **A practicum, externship, or clinical fieldwork assignment is defined as a direct clinical experience providing psychological services in a hospital, psychiatric hospital, psychiatric clinic, community mental health clinic, correctional facility, intermediate care facility, institutional or school setting, or community based residential and/or day program; and must have been a component of a qualifying master of psychology degree program listed on the official transcript.
Note: If you are appointed provisionally, you must take the next scheduled Civil Service examination for this title and your score must be reachable on the resulting eligible list before you can be permanently appointed. If you do not pass the examination or achieve a reachable score, you may not be retained.
Duties Description PSYCHOLOGIST 1:
• Full performance level; provides professional psychological services under the supervision of a licensed psychologist or other appropriate licensed clinician.
• Perform professional psychological services under the supervision of a licensed psychologist or other appropriate licensed clinician.
• Design, develop, administer, score, and interpret psychological tests.
• Conduct psychological evaluations.
• Participate at treatment team meetings and assist in the development of behavioral/treatment plans.
• Participate in and lead individual, family and group counseling sessions.
• Prepare reports and maintain a wide variety of records.
Additional Comments APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Submit cover letter and résumé by November 21, 2018 to:
2445 State Route 30
Tupper Lake, NY 12986
Phone: (518) 359-4150
Fax: (518) 359-4161
Please reference the above EOA # 18-155 in all correspondence.
• Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by closures. If you are being impacted by closure, please indicate this on your resume/cover letter.
• All OPWDD employees must be eligible and maintain eligibility for full and unconditional participation in the Medicare and Medicaid programs. Continued employment will depend on maintaining eligibility.
• OPWDD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
• Position may be eligible for Loan Forgiveness via the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program:
• For more information on PSLF, please visit www.studentAid.gov/publicservice
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.