Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Current New York State employee with one year or more of permanent, contingent-permanent, or 55b/c service as an Assistant Director Utilities Management OR current New York State employee with one year or more of permanent, contingent-permanent or 55b/c service in a position at or above SG-25 and eligible for transfer under section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law.
NOTE: Comprehensive lists of titles approved for transfer to Assistant Director Utilities Management are available in the Division of Human Resources Management or through Civil Service GOT-IT at www.cs.ny.gov.
Provisional pending Examination
One year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Supervisor General Services Plant Utilities 2 or Plant Superintendent A; or two years of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Supervisor General Services Plant Utilities 1 or Energy Conservation Technical Specialist.
Nine years of increasingly responsible experience in the administration of plant utilities operations for a commercial/institutional building complex of 10 or more buildings, with a minimum of 3 million square feet of usable space. Two years must have included overall managerial experience, including budgeting, personnel administration, project management, energy management (through use of direct digital control (DDC) and a computerized energy management system (EMS)), and administration of a preventative maintenance program (through the use of a computerized maintenance management system (CMMS)) for facilities consisting of a total of at least 200,000 square feet. A preponderance of said facilities shall have included a high-pressure steam system, central chilled water system, variable frequency drive applications, and an electrical distribution system with a minimum primary voltage of 13,800 volts.
Duties Description Under direction of the Director Utilities Management, the incumbent directs and manages operations of the OGS regional facilities utilities operations and statewide energy management and coordinates common and best practice operations of the Bureau of Campus Utilities, the Bureau of Empire State Plaza Utilities, and the Sheridan Steam Generating Facility with the regional facilities. In the absence of the Director, the Assistant Director Utilities Management shares complete responsibility for the operation of the division with the second Assistant Director Utilities Management. Duties shall include, but not be limited to:
• Implement procedural changes and assesses the functioning of all operations. When required, recommend procedural and technical changes.
• Coordinate and support the consistent functioning of all utilities related functions across the regional facility portfolio. Conduct meetings to discuss new policies, staff requirements, and tenant complaints and requests. Insure that each Building Manager is aware of all utilities operational procedures as well as administrative and regulatory requirements. Review and evaluate the utilities operations of each facility and facility manager to insure consistent application of procedures between Albany and Regional Facilities.
• Coordinate and assemble utilities and energy related budget and project requests from the statewide energy bureau and regional facilities and submit to the Division Director with specific recommendations.
• Implement all schedules for the inspection, repair, and rehabilitation of all utility equipment. Oversee and manage various utilities related service contracts, i.e. high voltage, chiller, boiler, etc.
• Oversee utilities related regulation requirements and mandated code compliance for entire Division of Utilities. Insure current codes are met and reported upon and remain current on developing codes and regulations to insure timely and complete compliance.
• As assigned by the Director and in coordination with the Statewide Energy staff, conduct energy surveys; develop programs for energy conservation; recommend latest available technology.
• Work directly with the OGS Energy Procurement office to investigate, review and develop new opportunities to realize efficiency in the purchasing of energy, i.e. electricity, fuel, etc., while assisting in expanding existing procurement initiatives.
• Work directly with energy providers and public utilities across the state to take full advantage of utility program offerings, i.e. demand and emergency demand side management, special case resources, etc.
• Work closely with New York Power Authority (NYPA), New York State Energy Research & Development Authority (NYSERDA), Energy Supply Companies (ESCOs) and vendors to take full advantage of energy project incentives and rebates as they relate to projects and product procurement.
• Oversee the Web Enabled Advanced Metering System and several other facility computer driven automation systems.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Position Title & Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.