Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
50 Wolf Road
Minimum Qualifications To be considered for permanent appointment, candidates must be reachable on the current Civil Service eligible list or be eligible for reassignment or transfer in accordance with Civil Service Law.
If a viable eligible list does not exist, a provisional appointment may be made in accordance with Civil Service Law. Candidates who accept a provisional appointment must take the next competitive examination and be reachable on the resultant eligible list in order to be considered for permanent appointment to the position.
The minimum requirements for taking the examination are:
Three months of permanent competitive service as:
A. Payroll Examiner 2, SG-15, or former title of Payroll Clerk 3, SG-14;
B. In a clerical, secretarial, or paraprofessional title allocated to Grade 14 or higher.
Duties Description Payroll experience is required. Incumbent should be prepared to assist the payroll function as follows:
• Enter payroll transaction in PayServ (i.e. new hires, rehires, worker’s compensation, discretionary leaves, terminations, resignations, demotions, promotions, transfers, military leaves, voluntary reduction in work schedule, longevity payments, reallocations, lost time, overpayments, sick leave/half pay, process traineeship transactions, salaries, advance dates, etc.), and certify that submissions are complete and prepared in accordance with applicable laws, rules and regulations;
• Supervise Payroll Examiner 2s and fill in during their absence to maintain payroll deadlines;
• Answer complex employee inquiries for regions via e-mail and telephone;
• Answer questions from Office of State Comptroller (OSC) auditors via e-mail and telephone;
• Calculate salaries for employees, Employee Relations, Personnel Bureau and OSC;
• Verify NYSTEP transaction report against PayServ transactions for assigned regions;
• Assist with time and attendance system/Maintenance Asset Management Information System (MAMIS) entry problems;
• Verify Human Resources Information System (HRIS) with PayServ and/or LATS for assigned regions;
• Provide assistance to other regions during absence of payroll officers, or with increased workload;
• Process Form AC 230 (Report of Check Returned for Refund or Exchange), and Form AC 1476 (Report of Check Exchange), and salary advances for regions;
• Reconcile Labor Distribution Hold File discrepancies, make appropriate adjustments;
• Assist in training Payroll staff on payroll functions; prepare training documents to standardize payroll process functions;
• Assist in distributing workload among Payroll staff.
Responsibilities may include serving a role within the Incident Command System to support the department’s response to regional and statewide emergency situations.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingQualified candidates should submit a letter of interest and a current resume no later than November 22, 2018, to:
New York State Department of Transportation
ATTN: April Steward
50 Wolf Road, 1st Floor North
Albany, NY 12232
PLEASE INCLUDE THE TITLE AND ITEM NUMBER IN THE SUBJECT LINE WHEN RESPONDING.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.