Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications There are no education or experience qualifications. However, the preferred candidates should possess, at minimum, a High School diploma. Those with an associate degree in the Culinary Arts, Restaurant Management or a related food service field are encouraged to apply, along with students pursuing a degree in a related occupational field. Candidates should possess culinary insight, a deep knowledge of food preparation activites, ingredients and food combinations, and use this knowledge to assist the executive chef in preparing exceptional meals. Knowledge of standard food preparation and storage techniques is required. Incumbents will follow the direction of the executive chef in the preparation of menu items for all meals and functions served at an executive level state facility. The incumbent must also be able to work independently as well as in a team.
Duties Description • Assists executive chef in planning and preparing meals, dishes, snacks and hors d'oeuvres for official state functions. Knowledge of plated and buffet service is required.
• Prepares ingredients for recipes by washing, peeling and cutting vegetables. Strong knife skills a must.
• Bakes breads, pastries and cookies.
• Butchers meats, poultry and seafood and prepare according to set recipies.
• Weighs, measures and mixes ingredients according to recipes and proper techniques.
• Maintains kitchen inventory, receive, rotate and dispose of food items in a safe and orderly manner and per the kitchen rulebook.
• Possesses a strong knowledge of stock, soup and sauce preparation.
• Determines appropriate methods for storage and use of leftovers.
• Assists in the selection and/or development of new recipes using New York State products.
• Oversees or assists with the set-up of informal and formal dinners and events.
• Maintains kitchen order by ensuring cleanliness of kitchen equipment and utensils, tables, counters and work areas.
• Sets prepared dishes so they are aesthetically pleasing.
Additional Comments Under the general direction of the executive chef, the incumbent is responsible for a variety of duties involved in food preparation as well as the operation and cleanliness of the kitchen facilities at an executive level state facility. The incumbent shall be hired on an “on-call” basis and will work part-time strictly upon request. The incumbent must be available to work evenings, holidays and weekends. The incumbent will undergo a full and complete background check as part of the interview process.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Position Title & Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.