Office of Facilities and Business Services
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Non-Competitive Appointment: Candidates must demonstrate successful completion of a NYS two-year Trades Specialist (Electrician) Traineeship or NYS two-year electrician training program OR successful completion of any equivalent electrical two-year training or apprenticeship program** OR four years of full-time experience in the electrical trade under a skilled journey-level electrician which would provide training equivalent to that given in an apprenticeship program. Apprenticeship training in the electrical trade or training gained by completion of technical courses in the electrical trade at a school, institute, or branch of the Armed Services may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
**Successful completion of the traineeship and the training program includes a total of 288 hours of trade-specific class room instruction, 45 hours of technical math course work, 45 hours of technical communications course work, and 15 hours of blueprint/schematic reading course work. Course work must be completed with an average of C or better. Additionally, successful completion of the traineeship also includes 4,000 hours of on-the-job training.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s Performance Improvement Management Services is seeking candidates for a Trades Specialist (Electrician) position in the Office of Facilities and Business Services. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Repair, maintain and install electrical fixtures, systems and equipment, such as motors, transformers, wiring, switches, alarm systems, controls, access controls systems, security surveillance systems and related equipment;
• Locate and determine electrical malfunctions using standard test equipment;
• Repair mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic or electrical components of electrical equipment using standard tools and procedures;
• Test electrical equipment for safety and efficiency;
• Plan layouts and wire new installations;
• Install and terminate cable system, including coaxial, fiber optic and category 5 cables; and
• Test, adjust, calibrate, and maintain a wide variety of electrical control equipment, including central heating plant controls, building heating, air conditioning and ventilating equipment, controls for refrigeration and for a variety of other equipment and systems.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a contingent permanent, non-competitive appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of education or credentials will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $52,039 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 5, 2018 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (PIMS-342/00147) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 5, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (PIMS-342/00147) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.