Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Current Division of Homeland Security & Emergency Services employee with permanent, contingent-permanent or 55b/c service as a Fire Protection Specialist 1 and interested in reassignment; OR current New York State employee with one year of permanent, contingent-permanent or 55b/c service as a Fire Protection Specialist 1.
Fire Protection Specialist Trainee 1: Current New York State employee with one year of permanent, contingent-permanent or 55b/c service as a Fire & Safety Representative.
Employees reachable on the Fire Protection Specialist 1 or Fire Protection Specialist Trainee Civil Service eligible list are being be canvassed and should not respond to this posting. This vacancy posting is for the purposes of notifying individuals about transfer opportunities.
Duties Description • Develops course curriculum for assigned technical specialties (e.g., hazardous materials, weapons of mass destruction, vehicle extrication, firefighting, and emergency medical services).
• Prepares lesson plans and creates a variety of educational materials and teaching aids.
• Evaluates technical training programs and recommends improvements.
• Conducts life safety code and fire prevention inspections of facilities at various counties, municipalities, and civic organizations to determine compliance with applicable State laws and regulations.
• Inspects and supervises the testing of alarm, sprinkler, emergency lighting and public address systems.
• Reviews corrective plans and prepares reports on inspection findings.
• Meets with facility representatives to discuss life safety code and fire prevention deficiencies.
• Conducts follow-up inspections and evaluations to ensure compliance.
• Develops or assists in developing building evacuation plans.
• May review special event plans, observe special event setups and operation to ensure adequate exiting and review emergency command and control procedures and equipment.
• Provides on-site investigative assistance ad staff support to local governments emergency responders and officials.
• Provides technical direction to develop emergency response plans and exercises with the State Emergency Management Office.
• Prepares technical reports and other documents on findings for court proceedings and may testify as the State’s technical expert.
• May act as the official State representative to coordinate State provided emergency services in the event of a regional or Statewide incident.
Additional Comments Note: These positions require significant travel, often overnight, in an assigned geographic location. Work hours vary significantly based on operational need. Successful completion of a qualifying pre-employment physical examination, background check, and drug testing may be required for contingent permanent/permanent appointment. Details regarding these exam requirements can be found under the Fire Protection Specialist title at: https://www.cs.ny.gov/ehs/index.cfm.
*Work schedule may vary based on operational needs. Travel will be required.
NOTE: Support of operations during times of emergency and disaster from State Emergency Operations Center (EOC), state field offices and/or local deployments may be required, which would result in a change and/or increase in working hours, locations and/or duties.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.