New York State Library
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Librarian.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Senior Librarian: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in any of the following titles: Senior Librarian (Law), Senior Librarian (Medicine), Senior Librarian (Reference) or Senior Librarian (Technical Processes).
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates who are reachable on the Librarian 1 or Senior Librarian eligible list may be considered for appointment.
NOTE: If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s Office of Cultural Education is seeking candidates for a Senior Librarian position within the New York State Library (NYSL). Under the direction of the Associate Librarian (Reference), the Senior Librarian will perform a variety of duties in support of the Manuscripts and Special Collections (MSC) Unit’s work to acquire, provide access and preserve the NYSL’s collections of manuscripts, private archives, rare books, maps, prints, photographs, broadsides, posters, musical scores and ephemera. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Process, catalog and prepare online finding aids for material in the MSC to make information on collections widely available;
• Provide reference and information services onsite and via telephone, email, direct mail and Interlibrary Loan;
• Staff the MSC Reference Desk in the Research Room, shared with the New York State Archives;
• Work with the MSC staff, as well as staff in other units, to manage the digitization and digital access to the materials in the MSC;
• Collaborate with State Library staff to resolve problems related to the collection maintenance of library materials, including problems relating to location and classification;
• Work with potential donors and vendors to acquire materials for the State Library’s Manuscripts and Special Collections; and
• Identify materials for acquisition in a variety of formats (including print, microform and electronic) to support collection development of the State Library.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change an appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. This position requires participation in a rotating Saturday work schedule (9:15 am – 5:15 pm).
This position may be filled as a traineeship. The salary listed above applies to candidates appointed to Senior Librarian, SG-19. The hiring rate for candidates appointed to Librarian 1 starts at $48,027 and, for current NYS employees, is based on the candidate’s salary at the time of hire. Candidates appointed at the Librarian 1 level will be required to successfully complete the traineeship in order to advance to the journey level title and salary.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $75,785 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a letter of interest and resume by December 19, 2018 to email@example.com (E-mail submissions are preferred). You must indicate the Box number (OCE-1100/80254) of the position in the subject line of your email AND cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a letter of interest and resume by December 19, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org (E-mail submissions are preferred). You must indicate the Box number (OCE-1100/80254) of the position in the subject line of your email AND cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.