Minimum Qualifications Legal Assistant/Legal Assistant Trainee:
Interested candidates must be reachable on the Legal Assistant 1 eligible list or Legal Assistant Trainee eligible list; or eligible to transfer under section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
To be eligible to transfer to Legal Assistant:
NYS employees must have at least one year of permanent competitive service in an appropriate SG-12 or higher title and possession of an associate's degree or certificate in legal studies, paralegal studies, or legal assistant studies from an accredited institution or one approved by the American Bar Association, and meet transfer eligibility requirements.
To be eligible to transfer to Legal Assistant Trainee 1:
NYS employees must have at least one year of permanent competitive service in an appropriate SG-11 or higher title and possession of an associate's degree or certificate in legal studies, paralegal studies, or legal assistant studies from an accredited institution or one approved by the American Bar Association, and meet transfer eligibility requirements.
Trainees will be required to successfully complete six courses in paralegal studies and related skills from an accredited college or university. Also, in addition, one or more college or training courses in writing skills will be required in addition to on-the-job-training activities.
Duties Description Review member files in preparation for administrative hearings
* Review and acknowledge hearing requests and open appropriate hearing case in the Portal
* Communicate with applicants and attorneys about hearing procedures
* Work professionally and cooperatively with co workers
* Administrative tasks including
o Create CD’s and indexes for medical cases
o Prepare and mail acknowledgement letters and scheduling forms
o Responding to emails and telephone calls, when appropriate.
Evaluate medical cases for amended determinations and supplemental reports
* Evaluate case to determine if an amended determination is needed, and if so, request the amended determinations from Disability Processing, and refer for re-examination or re-evaluation.
* Review and Evaluate cases to determine if supplemental reports are needed, if so, send supplemental records to the Retirement System doctor for review.
* If a supplemental report is received, review to determine whether the case is ready for scheduling or warrants return to the Disability Processing Unit for re-evaluation.
Coordinate and schedule all aspects of administrative hearings
* Prepare and distribute hearing notices
* Become proficient in Retirement and Social Security Law and other applicable statues, policies and procedures
* Coordinate case status and readiness for hearing with other staff involved in the administration of administrative hearings
* Maintain contact with Hearing Officers to obtain schedules
* Contact with Retirement System and applicant doctors for scheduling purposes
* Ability to coordinate multiple hearings and locations on a given day
Additional Comments DESIRED COMPETENCIES:
* Ability to read, understand and apply laws, procedures, rules, regulations and guidelines where there are not clear precedents and without detailed direction.
* Ability to use a computer to maintain records, prepare reports or verify information.
* Ability to write correspondence, reports, and procedures.
* Ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally.
* Ability to set up and use manual and electronic office record keeping and filing systems.
* Must be able to interpret Retirement and Social Security Law and communicate hearing process information to Systems members in writing and orally, demonstrating listening, written, and verbal communication skills.
* Ability to perform tasks accurately within prescribed time frames.
* Ability to manipulate an alphanumeric keyboard to produce documents including letters, memos, reports, forms, labels, etc.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
110 State Street, 12th Floor
Notes on ApplyingInterested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com no later than December 9, 2018. Please reference Item # 07008 GOER-JAM in the subject line of the email and in the cover letter when responding (The Vacancy ID # should not be included).