Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
2400 Ocean Parkway
Minimum Qualifications Either 1. four years of technical experience in horticulture, plant propagation, nursery, or greenhouse work,* which includes plant pest and disease detection and control. This experience must include one year of supervisory experience;
Or 2. an associate's or higher-level degree and two years of technical experience in horticulture, plant propagation, nursery, or greenhouse work,* which includes plant pest and disease detection and control;
Or 3. a bachelor's or higher-level degree in horticulture, agronomy, forestry, or an agricultural related field.
IMPORTANT-: Individuals appointed provisionally must take and pass a Civil Service examination for this position and be reachable; i.e., be one of the top three (3) candidates on the resulting eligible list willing to accept the position.
Duties Description Under the supervision of the Park Operations Manager and/or higher level personnel, the Horticultural Technician 2 will perform a variety of duties relating to the care and maintenance of plantings, gardens, vegetation and lawn maintenance at Jones Beach State Park
1. operating in an independent manner, does planting, transplanting, watering, fertilizing, spraying, pruning and trimming of valuable, rare or specialized trees, shrubs, vines and flowers and identifies and supervises or otherwise handles the removal of invasive species;
2. inspects the operating area to identify potential safety hazards, needs for skilled maintenance, landscaping requirements, litter control, refuse removal, etc., report findings to supervisor(s) and/or undertakes corrective action; takes soil samples and performs soil analysis;
3. curates outdoor herbaceous and woody plant collections; identifies plant growth, nutrient, insect and disease problems, taking the appropriate corrective and remedial action, consulting as needed with supervisor(s); researches and assesses the best horticultural practices for managing the living collections; documents, reports, and catalogs plant-related information;
4. selectively prunes plants to correct structural defects, to thin excessive growth within the plant's framework and to remove portions of the plant damaged by disease, storm or insects to retain or restore the natural form of the plant;
5. selectively formulates and applies herbicides, fungicides, insecticides and fertilizers to plant material to counteract insect and/or disease problems;
6. develops management plans for outdoor gardens and living collections; maintains display beds through weeding, watering, pruning, deadheading, mulching, edging, raking and fertilization;
7. performs appropriate soil preparation and planting of annuals, perennials, shrubs and trees; performs seasonal landscaping work including planting, pruning, clean-up, bulb planting, dividing and transplanting, leaf removal;
8. operates and maintains hand and portable power tools and motorized equipment such as pruning equipment, soil cultivators, roto-tillers, mowers, sprayers, saws, tillers, trimmers, etc.
9. supervises lower level and seasonal staff and volunteers in the care of plant material, and provides for materials and supplies in support of this work; assists with training and support of seasonal gardeners and interns;
10. operates light trucks and other motor vehicles as required in the performance of duties;
11. may be required to load and unload materials, tools and equipment of varying weights and sizes as needed in the performance of duties assigned;
12. performs routine manual maintenance tasks required to develop, maintain and repair associated plantings, buildings, roads and equipment;
13. maintains equipment and supplies properly and ensures that they are stored safely;
14. performs snow and ice control measures and maintains grounds and structures as needed;
Additional Comments Operating Needs:
- Selected candidate must possess and maintain a valid New York State Motor Vehicle Operator’s License as a term and condition of employment.
- Selected candidate must obtain a Pesticide Applicator’s License (category 3A) within 6 months of appointment and maintain it as a term and condition of employment.
- Ability to perform medium to heavy physical labor and to lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
- Ability to communicate effectively with other staff and with park patrons. Ability to read, comprehend and prepare written materials.
- Ability to safely and effectively operate and use lawn/garden equipment and small hand tools
- Employee must be qualified and medically cleared to wear a respirator and have knowledge of good safety practices which must be utilized.
- Preference will be given to individuals with progressive experience in the care of trees and shrubs and who have the ability to perform such work with little direct supervision.
- Selected candidate must complete CPR/AED training within the probationary period and must maintain the certification.
- Selected candidate is required to take and pass chainsaw certification - levels 1, 2, 3 when training is given.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingIf you feel you meet the minimum qualifications, the Agency operating needs and are interested in being considered for this vacancy, you can obtain an Employment Application from your local park office, your region’s administrative headquarters or download an application from the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation website at www.nysparks.com. Please forward your application and resume, if available, to: Janet Grant, Personnel Office, P.O. Box 247, Babylon, NY 11702