Office of Professional Discipline
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent non-competitive or 55b/c service as an Investigative Specialist 1.
Non-Competitive Appointment: Candidates must have six years of experience in a field investigative position, which must include:
• Conducting interviews of witnesses and others;
• Taking written statements and affidavits;
• Collecting and analyzing physical and documentary evidence; and
• Preparing detailed written reports of investigative findings.
SUBSTITUTION: An associate’s degree in criminal justice or related field may be substituted for two years of qualifying experience. A bachelor’s degree in criminal justice or a related field may substitute for four years of qualifying experience. Related fields include: law enforcement, police science, criminology, criminal investigation, criminal justice administration, public justice, police studies, forensic accounting, forensic psychology, forensic science, and economic crime management.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s Office of the Professions (OP) is seeking candidates for an Investigative Specialist 1 position in the Office of Professional Discipline (OPD). Under the supervision of an Investigative Specialist 2 (Professional Conduct), the Investigative Specialist 1 will investigate allegations of violations of statutes pertaining to rules or regulations by licensed professionals. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Investigate unlawful practice of a profession by an unlicensed person, the moral character of an individual seeking licensure, or the background of former licensed professionals who are seeking reinstatement of their professional licenses;
• Prepare detailed investigative reports of the activities undertaken pursuant to his or her assignments and maintain the chain of custody with respect to evidentiary items;
• Assist other program areas within OPD; and
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a permanent non-competitive appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or experience will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $71,980 based on annual performance advances.
** This salary includes a $3,026 annual Downstate adjustment.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 24, 2018 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OP-1157/21436) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 24, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OP-1157/21436) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.