Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Minimum Qualifications:
Senior Attorney – Candidates must be admitted to the New York State Bar Association, be licensed to practice law in New York State, and have two years of post-Bar legal experience.
Please note that candidates who have graduated from law school and who possess credentials and experience less than that described above will be required to serve in a traineeship leading to Senior Attorney, Grade 25. The length of the traineeship will be determined by the credentials and experience possessed by a candidate.
Continuous Recruitment List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable for appointment on the Civil Service eligible list for Legal Specialties (#20-131). Information regarding eligibility is available on the Civil Service Examination Announcement at: https://www.cs.ny.gov/announ/cr_announcements/20-131.htm
Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service in a title eligible for transfer via Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. Information regarding transfer eligibility may be available on the Civil Service Career Mobility Office website at: http //careermobilityoffice.cs.ny.gov/cmo/
Duties Description The Department of Financial Services (DFS) is seeking applicants for the position of Senior Attorney. Under supervision, the Senior Attorney's duties will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Reviews accident and health insurance policies and contract forms submitted for approval to DFS, and evaluates the policies and contracts for compliance with all applicable laws, rules and regulations;
• Drafts, reviews, analyzes and comments on legislative proposals, regulations, and circular letters related to health insurance;
• Conducts legal research on insurance issues;
• Meets with representatives of the health insurance industry and other governmental agencies to discuss public policy, market and product issues, health programs and other initiatives, and explains or advocates for the Department;
• Participates in task forces with the health insurance industry or other governmental agencies;
• Represents the Department at public speaking engagements and forums to provide information on current topics related to accident and health insurance and health programs; and
• Other appropriate and occupationally related duties as assigned.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo Apply: Interested qualified candidates must submit a resume and letter of interest no later than December 17, 2018 to the email address listed below. Please include (Box SRATT-ALB) in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application. Email submissions are preferred.
Box SRATT - ALB
New York State Department of Financial Services
Office of Human Resources Management
99 Washington Avenue, Suite 301
Albany, New York 12257
Fax: (518) 402-5071
All candidates that apply may not be scheduled for an interview
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT: REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Department of Financial Services is required to provide
reasonable accommodation for known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability if an accommodation would enable the applicant to perform the essential functions of the job. If the accommodation would constitute an undue hardship on the operations of the agency, the agency is not required to provide it.