Office of State Assessment
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Non-Competitive Appointment: Candidates must have a master’s degree and specialization in tests and measurements, psychometrics and/or, educational assessment AND six years of professional experience supporting large scale assessment programs, including program design, test development, data collection, data analysis, scaling, equating, and standard setting. A Ph.D. in any of the above specializations may be substituted for three years of required experience.
• Ph.D. in Statistics, Social Sciences, or Education with emphasis in Econometrics, Educational Measurement/Psychometrics, or Quantitative Research Methods;
• Understand assessment development and psychometric principles;
• Familiarity with econometric or growth modeling;
• Knowledge of federal or State accountability requirements and systems;
• Experience with and interest in education policy research and analysis;
• Experience with application of statistical, psychometric, or econometric analysis methods in an education context;
• Demonstrated project management and supervision experience and strong organizational skills;
• Strong computer skills including extensive proficiency with Microsoft Excel, as well as statistical analysis and programming tools such as SAS, Stata, or R;
• Experience working with databases and analyzing large datasets; and
• Experience researching reports and technical documentation, as well as presenting highly technical information to diverse audiences.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for a State Education Psychometrician position in the Office of State Assessment (OSA). This Office is responsible for the development of examinations for elementary, intermediate and high school students, as well as teacher certification. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Oversee redesign of NYS tests, based on principled assessment designs;
• Make recommendations on possible changes to the NYS testing program and ensure that NYS tests are aligned with the testing requirements under the Title I peer review;
• Work with test development staff to develop test specifications, performance level descriptions, passage selection, item writing and review criteria and other documents that will ensure procedural validity;
• Conduct validity and reliability analysis, write/review validity and reliability technical reports and ensure validation documentation of tests;
• Analyze test data and make recommendations for changes to the NYS testing program;
• Propose and carry out studies that will inform and enhance reports to NYSED Leadership as well as the Board of Regents;
• Write technical reports based on psychometric analysis; and
• Prepare documents and present various concerns to the Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) and provide recommendations for TAC review.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a non-competitive appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. This position will require frequent, statewide travel. Verification of degree will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $123,166 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 25, 2018 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-1824/65352) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 25, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-1824/65352) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.