Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
150 Riverhead Road
Minimum Qualifications This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
Two (2) years experience as a permanent state salary grade (SG)-18 or higher salary grade in facilities operations and maintenance, engineering, physical plant operations or similar title series and direct supervision of four (4) or more employees while in the qualifying job title;
Six (6) years permanent experience as an SG-14 or higher salary grade in which duties include facilities operations and maintenance, engineering, physical plant operations or similar title series and experience supervising six (6) or more employees directly or on at least three (3) large scale projects while in the qualifying job title;
An Associate’s Degree or higher from a regionally accredited college or university in a related field of study and eight (8) years full time experience in complete charge of operations and facility staff of a large and/or complex facility or physical plant.*
Must be at least 18 years old and have a High School Diploma or GED.
Must be able to work comfortably at heights such as climbing ladders, working on scaffolds, platforms and lifts.
Must be able to push, pull, lift and carry heavy objects and equipment (50+ lbs).
Must be able to work in confined spaces in accordance with requirements.
Must be able to work outside in various temperatures and inclement weather for extended periods of time.
Must possess a valid driver's license to operate a motor vehicle in the State of New York. Must report any changes to supervisory chain and State Human Resources (MNHS). May also be required to acquire and maintain a military driver’s license to operate military vehicles and equipment in accordance with NGB standards to include medical evaluation requirements – current and as amended.
Must have working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite – MSWord and Excel.
Must be able to read and write in English.
Required to have or successfully complete within 90 days of receiving computer access, all training associated with assigned data systems such as SFS, GFEBS and the Statewide Learning Management System (SLMS) and/or other computer training as related to duty assignments.**
In accordance with NGB standards, will be required to obtain and maintain a favorable background investigation, and have an appropriate clearance to allow access to computer networks and restricted areas to determine suitability, loyalty, and trustworthiness. Minimally a National Agency Check with Inquiry (NACI) will be completed - dependent on current regulation, a SECRET or other clearance may be required.
* Other combinations of education and work experience, including military, may be considered with a minimum combined total of ten (10) full time years of experience where at least six (6) included comparable supervision. Candidate must demonstrate direct relevance to meet the job duty requirements noted above.
** Should related regulations, procedures and requirements change, additional training and/or certifications may be required.
At all times, the employee MUST maintain minimum standards in accordance with current , and as amended, agency, statutory and NGB requirements and directives; failure to do so will subject the individual to disciplinary action, including possible termination.
NOTE: Position standards illustrate the nature, extent and scope of duties and responsibilities of the position described. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by the incumbent. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Position Standards were written. Please contact State Human Resources Management for any further information regarding the position requirements.
Duties Description This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
Working under the general supervision of the Base Civil Engineer and/or facility manager/supervisor, the Maintenance Supervisor 4 is responsible for the supervision, coordination and technical direction for maintenance, repair, renovation, new construction and alterations for the entire Air Base. This includes utility and mechanical systems as well as buildings and grounds. The Maintenance Supervisor 4 must be able to meet the requirements of and perform skilled and semiskilled duties of the maintenance unit. Incumbents of this position are considered essential personnel.
The position performs responsibilities in accordance with all current and amended, DMNA policies and procedures, federal and state statutes, and where applicable, the collective bargaining agreement (CBA) and requirements of the National Guard Bureau (NGB), specifically the Master Cooperative Agreement (MCA) and supporting regulations. The Maintenance Supervisor 2 may report to state and/or federal supervisory personnel, and in some cases may be responsible for multiple facilities.
Specifically, duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
• Work comfortably in a team oriented atmosphere with civilian and military personnel as well as exercise independence.
• Communicate with supervisors clearly and concisely concerning maintenance projects, improvements to operating procedures, discussions of maintenance and scheduling problems including possible solutions, and provide periodic reports on maintenance activities.
• Responsible for communicating with and overseeing work performed by contractors; by monitoring and inspecting their work activities to ensure compliance to contract specifications and plans.
• Provide daily oversight and supervision of the operations and maintenance unit to include: establishing work priorities, developing work schedules, implementing applicable rules, standards and policies, evaluating performance and coordinating the various activities performed by the staff or contractors.
• Provide assistance in the development of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
• Provide input for the annual budget and manage assigned funding; handle the administration of purchasing for assigned facilities in coordination with the purchasing unit; and ensure all State finance procedures are adhered to for buying, traveling and other budgetary matters.
• Coordinate with State Human Resources (MNHS) for hiring, counseling, discipline and other personnel related matters.
• Maintain a work order program in accordance with established policies, which includes preventive maintenance, rehabilitation of mechanical and structural systems, grounds maintenance, facility repairs and alterations, other applicable projects and all in-house self-help projects to be completed by the staff or contractors.
• Will perform supervisory duties at assigned facility/s including but not limited to training, direct supervision, and assist in performance evaluations of subordinate staff.
• Maintain local records and ensures proper follow up on actions and projects.
• Experience working with the Statewide Financial System (SFS) and other applicable databases.
• Periodic overtime may be required
• Periodic travel may be required to other facilities; to attend training; or other requirements related to duties as needed.
• Preforms other job duties as assigned.
• Working knowledge of personnel and labor policies and procedures; preferably background within New York State public service and/or working in a union environment.
• Working knowledge of appropriate code regulations and standards such as plumbing and electrical code regulations and fire and safety codes.
• Working knowledge of Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) systems.
• Working knowledge of the principles of effective supervision.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite; specifically MS Word and Excel.
• Experience working with databases; preferably related to the management of facilities and maintenance operations.
• Ability to use appropriate tools, machines, equipment and materials of the building, electrical and mechanical trades in a safe, effective and efficient manner.
• Ability to read and interpret facility and grounds plans, specifications, manuals and blueprints.
• Ability to make standard arithmetic computations to size and locate various details of the work; and to calculate the quantity and cost of materials and labor required to complete a project.
• Ability to work comfortably at heights such as climbing ladders, working on scaffolds, platforms and lifts.
• Ability to push, pull, lift and carry heavy objects and equipment (50+ lbs).
• Ability to work in confined spaces in accordance with requirements.
• Ability to work outside in various temperatures and inclement weather for extended periods of time.
• Incumbents of this position are considered essential personnel.
• Ability to follow written and verbal directions, ensure follow through on assignments and seek assistance or report concerns when needed.
• Ability to analyze project needs and communicate same to supervisor and staff as needed.
• Ability to train, coach, mentor and supervise subordinates. Ability to delegate project and work assignments in a clear and concise manner.
• Ability to plan and schedule work.
• Ability to work independently or with other individuals in a project/team setting.
• Ability to get along with and interact well with different groups of people, including co-workers, management, both Federal and State personnel and the public utilizing the facility.
• Familiarity with the Federal/State Master Cooperative Agreement (MCA). (Preferred).
• Experience working with various database systems, preferably experience working with the Statewide Financial System (SFS).
• Good verbal communication skills along with an ability to prepare written material in a clear and concise manner.
• Ability to read and write in English.
• Demonstrate reliability and trustworthiness.
Additional Comments This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
In addition: Francis S. Gabreski ANGB receives a Downstate Adjustment of $3,026.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
330 Old Niskayuna Road
Notes on ApplyingTo be considered for interview, submit a cover letter and resume. In e-mail subject line and cover letter indicate the title, location, vacancy announcement number of the position for which you are applying. Ensure to clearly note how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. Please be certain to note any specific licenses or certifications in a skilled trade.
If you are a former public employee retired within New York State currently receiving benefits, indicate this and the name of the retirement system in your cover letter.
Cover letter and resume may be submitted via E-mail (preferred method), FAX, or Mail. ENSURE TO COPY E-MAIL ADDRESS EXACTLY.
E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
FAX to: (518) 786-4969
For Questions: (518) 786-4830
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs
State Human Resources Management
330 Old Niskayuna Road
Latham, New York 12110-3514
ALL DOCUMENTS MUST BE RECEIVED IN STATE HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT (MNHS) BY DECEMBER 19, 2018.
VAGUENESS AND OMISSIONS WILL NOT BE RESOLVED IN YOUR FAVOR.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
ALL CURRENT PERMANENT DMNA STATE EMPLOYEES WHO MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS WILL BE INTERVIEWED TO EVALUATE THEIR QUALIFICATIONS, TRAINING, EXPERIENCE, ABILITY TO MEET THE NEEDS OF THE DIVISION AND ABILITY TO PERFORM THE DUTIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION. THE REQUIREMENT TO PROVE QUALIFICATION SHALL REST WITH THE EMPLOYEE.
ALL OTHER CANDIDATES WHO MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR INTERVIEW TO EVALUATE THEIR QUALIFICATIONS, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE IN RELATION TO THE DUTIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION.