Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Minimum Requirements:
• Associate’s degree in Fire Science or a closely related field.
• Minimum of two (2) years experience as a fire safety specialist or a closely related occupation.
• Ability to read and understand construction blueprints, diagrams and specifications.
• Experience interpreting and applying EPA, DEC, NFPA, NYS Fire and Building Codes and OSHA regulations.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
• Capable of performing physical labor to include carrying and moving items up to 50 pounds.
• Bachelor's degree.
• Certified NYS Building Safety Inspector (BSI) or Code Enforcement Official (CEO).
• NICET (National Institute of Certification in Engineering Technology – Fire Protection) Level II Certification.
• Demonstrated ability to determine training needs, organize and conduct training.
Duties Description SUNY Old Westbury seeks a dynamic, forward thinking and engaging Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Specialist, with a specialization in fire safety, to the join the Facilities Department.
Principal duties include:
The EHS Specialist will be responsible for coordinating fire and life safety systems, fire safety and building code compliance and environmental programs including testing, inspecting, record keeping, and training. Reporting to the Facilities Director, the incumbent will develop and implement health and safety programs for all campus staff and students to ensure compliance with all state and federal code requirements. This position will work with other facilities staff, faculty, and technicians when required for complex work. Must be able to prioritize multiple projects, and work in a demanding fast-paced environment. This is a full-time, twelve (12) month position, with weekend and after-hours work, as required.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
• Perform duties related to EHS activities pertaining to fire alarm systems, sprinkler systems and all life safety equipment operations and maintenance throughout the campus.
• Plan and conduct employee and student fire safety training, provide hot work training and issue and monitor hot work permits.
• Coordinate all safety training – Lock Out/Tag, Right to Know, and Electrical NFPA 70E.
• Function as the Campus NYS Building Safety Inspector.
• Coordinate NYS Fire Marshal campus inspections.
• Perform monthly inspections of the University's Fire extinguisher program and fire suppression systems, scheduling required inspections, coordinating repairs, and maintaining mandated record keeping.
• Perform required drills and maintain evacuation plans.
• Perform fire safety inspections and communicate deficiencies to Facilities Department.
• Produce and maintain records and documents associated with required laws.
• Provide environmental support for campus.
• Coordinate safety training.
• Perform Monthly AED inspections and coordinate repairs.
• Understand and interpret NY State Building Code, NY State Fire Code, NFPA and PESH Regulations.
• Respond to emergency conditions, provide EH&S support at campus events as directed, work flexible hours, including weekend and evening work if necessary.
• This position will be expected to possess written and verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills essential to work with a diverse population of students and colleagues.
Additional Comments Application Instructions:
Please submit the following online at https://oldwestbury.interviewexchange.com
1. cover letter,
3. contact information (name, email address and telephone number) for three (3) professional references.
Only applications submitted online will be considered.
CLOSING DATE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS: January 6, 2019
VISA sponsorship is not available for this position.
Position Type: Professional
Official Budget Title: Environmental Health Officer
Campus Title: Environmental Health and Safety Specialist
Negotiating Unit: UUP
Salary Grade: SL-4
FLSA Status: Exempt
Competitive Salary - Excellent Benefits
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
PO Box 210