Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Appointment Method:
List Appointment: Must be reachable for appointment on the Civil Service list #37-356, Associate Accountant.
Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service in a title eligible for transfer via Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. Information regarding transfer eligibility may be available on the Civil Service Career Mobility Office website at http://careermobilityoffice.cs.ny.gov/cmo/.
Duties Description The Department of Financial Services (DFS) is seeking applicants for the position of Associate Accountant in the Office of Financial Management. Under the general direction of the Financial Services Examiner 3, the Associate Accountant will supervise staff and apply accounting principles and practices in support of the Department’s programs. Other duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Supervises staff engaged in billing and collection functions under the Financial Services Law, Insurance Law and Regulations or Banking Law and Regulations;
• Supervises staff engaged in desk audits, bank reconciliations, etc.;
• Monitors email boxes and responds to email;
• Researches and reviews laws, regulations, and opinions, including the laws of other states, to ensure compliance;
• Completes the calculation, analysis and adjustment of the financial basis of regulated entities included in the Department’s assessment of the banking or insurance industries, including the annual review of statutory and opinioned adjustments;
• Works with program staff on Department assessment issues and customer questions;
• Oversees office activities relating to system changes, testing, implementation and operation in the unit’s revenue accounting systems and other systems, including coordination with IT, NYS Liquidation Bureau and outside agencies, plans and schedules data conversions, trains staff, problem-solves and reviews daily operations;
• Monitors accounts receivable for all filings and billings, while following approved procedures for collections/write-offs and reports problems to upper management;
• Oversees payments, cash, and accounts receivable for the Market Stabilization Pools; and
• Attends meetings and coordinates with contractors and other agencies for payments from, and deposits to, the Medical Indemnity Fund.
Additional information regarding the duties will be discussed at the time of interview.
Preferred Skills and Abilities:
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
• Experience with QuickBooks
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong analytical and research abilities
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo Apply: Interested qualified candidates must submit a resume and letter of interest no later than December 19, 2018 the email address listed below. Please include Box # OFM- 00604 in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application. Email submissions are preferred.
Box # OFM-00604
New York State Department of Financial Services
Office of Human Resources Management
One Commerce Plaza, Suite 301
Albany, NY 12257
Fax: (518) 402-5071
All candidates that apply may not be scheduled for an interview
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT: REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Department of Financial Services is required to provide reasonable accommodation for known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability if an accommodation would enable the applicant to perform the essential functions of the job. If the accommodation would constitute an undue hardship on the operations of the agency, the agency is not required to provide it.