High School Equivalency Office
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate in Continuing Education.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Associate in Continuing Education Civil Service eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a non-permanent provisional appointment may be considered. For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must have a master’s degree or higher AND four years of professional experience in continuing education, as described below. Two years of this experience must have been in an oversight or administrative capacity responsible for:
Either A. the provision of professional development and technical assistance;
Or B. the development and implementation of a continuing education program.
Qualifying Experience: Continuing Education is the instruction of out-of-school youth and adults in such areas as: employment preparation, adult basic education, life skills, General Education Development (GED) or High School Equivalency (HSE) test preparation, post-secondary transition, workplace literacy, adult literacy, and specialized instruction for Limited English Proficient/English Language Learners (LEP/ELL). For more information please visit:http://www.acces.nysed.gov/aepp/welcome-adult-education-programs-and-policy-aepp
NOTE: The Civil Service examination for this title has been announced and is scheduled for January 19, 2019. In order to be considered for a provisional appointment, you must have applied and been approved to take the Associate in Continuing Education examination. The deadline to apply for this examination was December 5, 2018.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s (SED) Office of Adult Career and Continuing Education Services (ACCES) is seeking candidates for an Associate in Continuing Education position in the High School Equivalency (HSE) Office. The incumbent of this position will be responsible for the overall implementation of the New York State High School Equivalency test program, which oversees the administration of the Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC™) exam as the primary pathway to a New York State High School Equivalency Diploma. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Coordinate the development of vendor managed HSE test and testing process and track the progress of the contracted vendor’s implementation of the TASC™ test;
• Oversee test content, staff development and training, and the creation of support documentation for test preparation and administration;
• Develop, justify, and manage the HSE budget;
• Prepare and present, as necessary, vendor performance progress reports, propose and implement corrective action plans to SED leadership and external stakeholders;
• Represent SED at meetings and public forums across the State on topics related to the HSE testing program;
• Act as a liaison to all key stakeholders in the testing program (e.g., stakeholders include local preparation program administrators, test administrators, test takers, state and local government agencies, the US Department of Education and the HSE test vendor);
• Maintain an ongoing dialogue with local education agencies, professional associations, and policy making groups on the implementation of the HSE test and Regents’ priorities related to Education Law and applicable regulations;
• Revise and develop regulations related to HSE in New York State; and
• Collaborate with other department managers, test vendors, and external stakeholders to coordinate efforts toward the HSE test.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a permanent appointment or a non-permanent provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate in Continuing Education when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of master’s degree will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $105,681 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 27, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (ACS-2102/66208) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 27, 2018 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (ACS-2102/66208) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.