Office of Facilities and Business Services
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in any of the following titles: Maintenance Supervisor 4, Plant Superintendent C, Plant Utilities Engineer 4, Public Buildings Manager 3, or Supervisor of General Services Plant Utilities 1.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for Plant Superintendent B. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for Plant Superintendent B, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
• New York State certification from the Department of Labor as a Building Safety Inspector or Code Enforcement Official;
• Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, SFS, LATS, DCNetMail, and FleetWaves programs;
• Knowledge of the principles of supervision;
• Knowledge of applicable agency standards and of appropriate building and construction code regulations;
• Knowledge of safety policies as they relate to occupational hazards;
• Ability to train others;
• Knowledge of the proper use of tools, machinery, and equipment utilized in building trades;
• Ability to read and interpret plans, diagrams, architectural blueprints, and specifications; and
• A valid New York State Driver’s License.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department's (NYSED) Performance Improvement and Management Services’ Office of Facilities and Business Services is seeking candidates for a Plant Superintendent B position. The incumbent of this position will be responsible for the management, operation, and maintenance of NYSED’s facilities including the Education Building (EB), the Education Building Annex (EBA), and the Cultural Education Center (CEC) which includes the State Library, State Museum, and State Archives. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Implement Department policies and procedures for all work done in any of the Department facilities, including issues of health and safety;
• Plan and oversee the management of projects concerning renovation or general maintenance;
• Oversee inspection of new construction, alterations, or renovations performed by Department staff or private contractors to the existing structures;
• Supervise a large Department work force responsible for heating, air-conditioning, mechanical and electrical building maintenance, painting, carpentry, plumbing, and steam fitting, as well as maintenance of grounds upkeep and improvement and all related and necessary equipment;
• Prepare budget requests for the maintenance and necessary purchases required to run and operate the Department buildings;
• Coordinate the motor vehicle transportation required by the Department, including the logistics for the members of the Board of Regents who attend monthly meetings in Albany and elsewhere throughout the State;
• Ensure the safety and security in all Department buildings for employees, the visiting public, and the millions of valuable collections maintained by the Department;
• Enforce adherence and compliance to all required safety, security, and maintenance codes applicable to the various buildings and structures that house Department employees or materials;
• Coordinate the custodial responsibilities of cleaning the EB, EBA, and CEC;
• Oversee the development of work force schedules to maximize the use of Department maintenance, security, and trades staff by providing formal and informal training for new employees, the necessary health and safety training, and the necessary asbestos training for staff required to work in areas containing asbestos or working on the removal of the asbestos;
• Oversee capital projects in the EB and the EBA; and
• Assist in plan reviews of capital projects for the New York State School for the Deaf, the New York State School for the Blind and the three Native American schools under NYSED’s charge.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of work experience will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $92,693 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 27, 2018 to email@example.com (Email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (PIMS-368/01030) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 27, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org (Email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (PIMS-368/01030) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.