Office of Counsel
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Program Aide.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates who are reachable on the Administrative Aide/Agency Program Aide eligible list may be considered for appointment. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Program Aide: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-11 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department is seeking candidates for a Program Aide position in the Office of Counsel. This Office provides the Regents, the Commissioner and the Department with legal counsel and services that enable them to establish education policy and comply with the law. Under the direct supervision of the Administrative Specialist, the incumbent will perform various substantive professional, technical, and administrative duties. Duties of this position will include, but are not limited to the following:
• Review, proofread and correct legal documents (e.g., agency regulations, letters, briefs, memoranda, and administrative decisions);
• Assist attorneys in responding to document requests (e.g., discovery, subpoenas, FOIL requests);
• Assist in preparing regulatory materials;
• Maintain the office databases, including those used to track litigation, legislation, ethics subpoenas and incorporations;
• Assist attorneys with lower level professional duties including proofreading and updating law books;
• Assist office staff as needed, by fielding inquiries from internal and external entities; and
• Complete special projects as assigned.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $55,008 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 21, 2018 to email@example.com (E-mail submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (CFO-374/24811) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 21, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org (E-mail submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (CFO-374/24811) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.