Office of Curriculum and Instruction
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate in Instructional Services (Social Studies 7-12).
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title.
Section 70.4 Transfer: Candidate may be eligible for nomination for Section 70.4 transfer to Associate in Instructional Services (Social Studies 7-12) if they have standing on the Civil Service eligible list for this title and are currently a New York State employee in a title allocated at Grade 24 or higher.
NOTE: If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Associate in Instructional Services (Social Studies 7-12) in the Office of Curriculum and Instruction. This Office is responsible for setting student learning expectations as a result of skilled instruction in the areas of English Language Arts, Mathematics, Social Studies, Science, the Arts, and Physical Education. This Office also supports professional development initiatives for these subject areas. The incumbent of this position will provide technical assistance and develop standards-based guidance materials to assist the field in implementing the NYS Learning Standards and required State assessments in the area of Social Studies for grades 7-12. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Provide expertise to school administrators, teachers and parents to facilitate understanding and implementation of the NYS Learning Standards for Social Studies, Core Curriculum guidance, and the Regents commencement-level assessments;
• Develop and conduct training and related workshops to build teachers’ content knowledge and pedagogy in Social Studies;
• Coordinate vendor activities and responsibilities related to NYS Learning Standards, curricula, and computer-based and print-based assessments for quality, timeliness, accuracy and completeness;
• Partner with University of the State of New York member institutions to provide a variety of professional development opportunities related to the NYS Learning Standards;
• Offer on-site technical assistance to “Big 5” city school district personnel and other stakeholders in the subject area of Social Studies;
• Administer a variety of competitive federal and State grant programs supporting increased student achievement;
• Provide content expertise on the development of curriculum, instruction and assessment models in the NYS Learning Standard areas;
• Serve as liaison to State and federal organizations on educational policy initiatives and practices;
• Research and prepare professional development materials, grants, contracts, proposed regulatory and policy statements, and informational materials; and
• Support the Office of State Assessment in the development and administration of Regents Examinations in Social Studies.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required at the time of interview.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $105,681 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 28, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-1870/65106) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 28, 2018 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-1870/65106) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.