Office of Counsel
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Attorney.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Attorney (Realty).
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-23 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law AND possess a Juris Doctorate degree AND be admitted to the Bar to practice law in New York State or in a state with Bar reciprocity.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Senior Attorney Civil Service eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department is seeking applicants for a Senior Attorney position in the Office of Counsel. The incumbent of this position will provide legal advice and services to the New York State Board of Regents, Commissioner of Education, and NYSED staff. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Work on procurement and fiscal issues (including but not limited to bonds and bankruptcy), contracts and inter-agency agreements;
• Assist, as needed, in the development and review of materials for competitive funding opportunities and resulting contracts;
• Perform research for and draft Commissioner’s decisions in administrative appeals, including those brought pursuant to Education Law §310;
• Represent the Department or assist the Office of the Attorney General in administrative and court proceedings challenging the Department’s actions, policies, or administrative determinations;
• Perform research on legal issues as requested by the program offices or in response to inquiries from constituents;
• Review and assist in the preparation of legislation and regulations, as needed; and
• Handle special assignment as requested by Counsel or management team.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and work experience will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. Candidates are required to possess and maintain admission to the New York State Bar. Failure to maintain an active registration to the New York State Bar will result in removal from employment.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $102,661 with annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 28, 2018 to email@example.com (Email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (CFO-368/00180) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 28, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org (Email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (CFO-368/00180) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.